New John Goodenough battery with high (too high?) energy density

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Carl White

New John Goodenough battery with high (too high?) energy density

Postby Carl White » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 am

"Now John Goodenough, the 94-year-old father of the lithium-ion battery, is claiming a novel solution as a blockbuster advance."

"If it proves out, the invention could allow electric cars to compete with conventional vehicles on sticker price. The improbable solution, described in a new paper from Goodenough and three co-authors, has drawn intense interest from leading science and technology publications. He estimates that the solution could store five to ten times as much energy as current standard lithium-ion batteries."

"“If anyone but Goodenough published this, I would be, well, it’s hard to find a polite word,” Daniel Steingart, a professor at Princeton, told Quartz."

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/03/ ... modynamics

Link to the paper's abstract in the journal: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleL ... ivAbstract

Patent filing link: https://www.google.com/patents/US20160368777

Skipjack

Re: New John Goodenough battery with high (too high?) energy density

Postby Skipjack » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:09 am

If it proves out...

Considering how many revolutionary battery technologies have been announced over the past 15 years that somehow still have not surfaced yet, I am not holding my breath for that one either.

krenshala

Postby krenshala » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:22 pm

in the abstract someone wrote:This strategy is demonstrated with a solid electrolyte that not only is wet by the metallic anode, but also has a dielectric constant capable of creating a large electric-double-layer capacitance at the two electrode/electrolyte interfaces. The result is a safe, low-cost, lithium or sodium rechargeable battery of high energy density and long cycle life.

This makes me think part of the gains are the device also acting as a capacitor, and not just as a battery. Assuming they work, I hope a version of this is available to replace the battery in my Volt once it gets old enough to need replacing. ;)

edit: and reading over teh linked patent, it definitely looks like they have made (or tried to make) a combination battery/capacitor. very interesting.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm

krenshala wrote:edit: and reading over teh linked patent, it definitely looks like they have made (or tried to make) a combination battery/capacitor. very interesting.

I would not want to see that one short in a car accident!

Return to “News”