Funding Polywell by an ICO

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Funding Polywell by an ICO

Postby hanelyp » Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 am

Ah, the classic blackmail quandary. You pay and all you get is time until the next demand. The threat doesn't go away.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Skipjack
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Skipjack » Tue May 16, 2017 7:33 am

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:41 am

good to know
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Tue May 16, 2017 5:33 pm

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

pbelter

Postby pbelter » Tue May 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Last edited by pbelter on Wed May 17, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

choff

Postby choff » Wed May 17, 2017 2:54 am

I see hackers not so much as being clever as lacking any sense of propriety.
CHoff

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:25 am

This is a white hat initiative that I have not verified yet but seem to be legit.
https://www.nomoreransom.org/crypto-sheriff.php
they have not yet broken waanacry yet but are trying.
This next link is a very good breakdown of the virus and modes of operation
http://bgr.com/2017/05/15/wanna-cry-ran ... explainer/
and the bleeping computer has a technical breakdown in this link as well as an in-depth link for the geeks among us.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus- ... ransomware

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 am

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

pbelter

Postby pbelter » Wed May 17, 2017 4:25 pm

pbelter

Postby pbelter » Wed May 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Why Startups Are Trading IPOs for ICOs
http://fortune.com/2017/05/05/ico-initi ... -offering/

Move Over VC: ICOs and Crypto Token Sales Are Raising Tens of Millions of Dollars in Hours
https://cryptoinsider.com/move-vc-icos- ... ars-hours/

US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs
http://www.the-blockchain.com/2017/05/1 ... g-on-icos/

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:33 am

here is a new twist(sort off) hijack a persons spare CPU cycles to work for you.
The new attack targets the same vulnerabilities the WannaCry ransomware worm exploited but, rather than freeze files, uses the hundreds of thousands of computers believed to have been infected to mine virtual currency.
"It uses the hacking tools recently disclosed by the NSA and which have since been fixed by Microsoft in a more stealthy manner and for a different purpose," he said.
Instead of completely disabling an infected computer by encrypting data and seeking a ransom payment, Adylkuzz uses the machines it infects to "mine" in a background task a virtual currency, Monero, and transfer the money created to the authors of the virus.
"As it is silent and doesn't trouble the user, the Adylkuzz attack is much more profitable for the cyber criminals. It transforms the infected users into unwitting financial supporters of their attackers," said Godier.

Proofpoint said it has detected infected machines that have transferred several thousand dollars worth of Monero to the creators of the virus.
The firm believes Adylkuzz has been on the loose since at least May 2, and perhaps even since April 24, but due to its stealthy nature was not immediately detected.

pbelter

Postby pbelter » Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Another record today:
"Aragon Raises $25 Million Under 15 Minutes in Record ICO"
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ethereu ... ecord-ico/

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 pm

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 am

One of the bigger failing of crypto currency and you see it by the different variants is that the first coins are very easy to "mine". This gives early adopters a great advantage. as more coins are mined it gets harder and harder to complete the necessary calculations . This was a intent in the design to prevent hyper inflation.
The real worm in the can is that as soon as quantum computing become available it will takeover the generation of new currency and the currency will be once again controlled by government who can afford the first quantum computers or it will drop in value to nothing due to quantum computing innate ability to generate billions of dollars in a very short time flooding the market. Once again forcing back into the hands of the government or becoming valueless.
I have seen many forms of independent currency come and go, from gold rings , billets, coinage , even several reports have indicated that Tide liquid detergent was used as a medium of exchange for drug deals in the United States. It was all devalued or eliminated by the government banking system or local inflation due to surplus or counterfeiting. Even the most useful online currency resides in a game called EVE. You can buy a PLEX, which means Pilot License EXtension. Those can be bought for real money and then can be traded ingame for the virtual currency ISK. On Activation, a PLEX grants 30 days of playtime. At the moment, 1 PLEX is about 600.000.000 ISK or 20 USD if bought from CCP(online bank)
crypto currency is going this same route as more and more types become available. It will have a use in closed community but as a global exchange it most likely will pitter out unless a nation state backs it. IMHO

kunkmiester

Postby kunkmiester » Fri May 19, 2017 5:27 am

If I recall correctly bit coin at least does had an absolute limit in how much can be created, though it is a very large number. The greater concern is the audit process, supposedly someone like the NSA could create a few billion coin purses, and if they have them all verify or refuse to verify transactions, things would come to a screeching halt. I'll have to look up where I read that.

Regardless of Bitcoin's future, the technology behind it, the block chain, is having a lot of impact. People even want to apply the tech to voting. I'd had some thoughts on a labor based currency that could be interesting, but I'm not sure it would really get rid of the issues other failed labor based currencies have had. It would sacrifice some anonymity, but that's a logical sacrifice for usability.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Return to “News”