Funding Polywell by an ICO

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

Re: Funding Polywell by an ICO

Post by hanelyp »

Ah, the classic blackmail quandary. You pay and all you get is time until the next demand. The threat doesn't go away.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

hanelyp wrote:Ah, the classic blackmail quandary. You pay and all you get is time until the next demand. The threat doesn't go away.
Malwarebytes' Anti Malware fixes the virus issue. Cant unlock the encrypted data, though :(
Of all the viruses and scams out there, ramsomware has something particularly vicious in my eyes.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

good to know
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Can you provide a cite for this regard the current drama? Thanks. I am not aware as of yet. To be honest, haven't looked hard either, been busy with other stuff.
The unlock scheme does work and it is documented that they do unlock you.
Violently agree:
Air gap backup
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

pbelter

Post by pbelter »

ladajo wrote: It is all imaginary.
It is imaginary, just like any value is imaginary. If enough people believe something has value then it does.
For something to maintain the value after it is initially believed in, it has to be scarce, and there are few things that can be commoditized but are as scarce as currency with a hard cap on its quantity.
Last edited by pbelter on Wed May 17, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

choff

Post by choff »

I see hackers not so much as being clever as lacking any sense of propriety.
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

This is a white hat initiative that I have not verified yet but seem to be legit.
https://www.nomoreransom.org/crypto-sheriff.php
they have not yet broken waanacry yet but are trying.
This next link is a very good breakdown of the virus and modes of operation
http://bgr.com/2017/05/15/wanna-cry-ran ... explainer/
and the bleeping computer has a technical breakdown in this link as well as an in-depth link for the geeks among us.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus- ... ransomware

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

pbelter wrote:
ladajo wrote: It is all imaginary.
It is imaginary, just like any value is imaginary. If enough people believe something has value then it does.
For something to maintain the value after it is initially is believed in, it has to be scarce, and there are few things that can be commoditized but are as scarce as concurrency with a hard cap on its quantity.
Yes, value is perception based. However, it is normally bounded by a society and its culture. Crypto currency was created outside this model. And, again, it has all the core tenants of a ponzi scheme.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

pbelter

Post by pbelter »

ladajo wrote: And, again, it has all the core tenants of a ponzi scheme.
Ponzi scheme is based on building financial pyramid with returns dependent on new people joining in. The promise of cryptocurrencies and blockchain is to eliminate middlemen and provide Decentralized Autonomous Organizations , or DAOs, which are companies but without centralized control. On the peer-to-peer side imagine Uber as peer-to-peer service with no headquarters or buying houses without escrow or closing costs . There is a startup called Golem which rents unused computer power on idle sitting computers and has computer owners getting paid. Same concept as Uber, based on the idea that there is a lot of idle capital sitting on the sidelines waiting to be utilized for profit and common benefit. On the immediate benefit side one can reduce cost of money transfers, which is worth about 2% of world GDP or 2 trillion USD. The crypto market is worth 60 billion, so if banks and individuals start utilizing it for international transfers, which are, and this is the only thing cryptocurrency is used for,then it is undervalued by couple orders of magnitude. To give you idea, an international wire transfer of $10,000 costs at $40-60 or $0.87 of you do it in bitcoin. Unlike for USD the bitcoin fee does not grow with the amount.

On the the DAO side, cryptocurrency is the promise for ignoring compliance with expensive regulations, and the inability of government to shut it down. Imagine Dr Bussard doing an IPO for EMC2. IPO so regulated that for all practical purposes he could not even contemplate it. Yet we can do an ICO and there is no-one who can stop it or regulate it. Since it is for a DAO, there is no-one to regulate.

There was a company in the late 1990-s that came up with the idea of e-gold. You deposit gold at their vault for a receipt that can be exchanged for the real thing and sold on the Internet. As any efficient money transfer tool it attracted a lot of interest in the criminal world so the government in its infinite wisdom decided to shut it down. Wikipedia says : " The USA Patriot Act, passed in the wake of the September 11 attacks more than five years after e-gold had been launched, made it a federal crime to operate a money transmitter business without a state money transmitter license in any state that required such a license." The same law was just recently used to have a guy put in prison for buying bitcoin in China and selling it in US.

Governments would love to shut down bitcoin, and many expressed their displeasure with it but they can't since there is no organization to shut down.

Until few weeks ago, before I started reading about it, I thought exactly as you do, that cryptocurrencies were one huge Ponzi scheme.
I am thinking now it is the other way around. The US federal debt grows exponentially
and the only way to get out of it is to create more electronic money. There was already some of that. "Quantitative easing (QE) is a monetary policy in which a central bank creates new electronic money" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing

Now, which electronic money do you think has more value? One where supply can be increased at will because the government decides to do so, to pay off the debt or fund some other program, or one that has a hard defined supply and cannot increase?
Who will want US dollars when that thought sinks in?

For the first time in about 4 centuries, it looks like governments are going to loose control over money. The times of unbalanced budgets and living beyond one's means are likely to come to an end.

pbelter

Post by pbelter »

Why Startups Are Trading IPOs for ICOs
http://fortune.com/2017/05/05/ico-initi ... -offering/

Move Over VC: ICOs and Crypto Token Sales Are Raising Tens of Millions of Dollars in Hours
https://cryptoinsider.com/move-vc-icos- ... ars-hours/

US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs
http://www.the-blockchain.com/2017/05/1 ... g-on-icos/

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

here is a new twist(sort off) hijack a persons spare CPU cycles to work for you.
The new attack targets the same vulnerabilities the WannaCry ransomware worm exploited but, rather than freeze files, uses the hundreds of thousands of computers believed to have been infected to mine virtual currency.
"It uses the hacking tools recently disclosed by the NSA and which have since been fixed by Microsoft in a more stealthy manner and for a different purpose," he said.
Instead of completely disabling an infected computer by encrypting data and seeking a ransom payment, Adylkuzz uses the machines it infects to "mine" in a background task a virtual currency, Monero, and transfer the money created to the authors of the virus.
"As it is silent and doesn't trouble the user, the Adylkuzz attack is much more profitable for the cyber criminals. It transforms the infected users into unwitting financial supporters of their attackers," said Godier.

Proofpoint said it has detected infected machines that have transferred several thousand dollars worth of Monero to the creators of the virus.
The firm believes Adylkuzz has been on the loose since at least May 2, and perhaps even since April 24, but due to its stealthy nature was not immediately detected.

pbelter

Post by pbelter »

Another record today:
"Aragon Raises $25 Million Under 15 Minutes in Record ICO"
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ethereu ... ecord-ico/

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Ponzi scheme is based on building financial pyramid with returns dependent on new people joining in.
Exactly.
or one that has a hard defined supply and cannot increase?
Which is built in inflation of value as more folks join the Ponzi Scheme.
For the first time in about 4 centuries, it looks like governments are going to loose control over money. The times of unbalanced budgets and living beyond one's means are likely to come to an end.
Not likely.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

One of the bigger failing of crypto currency and you see it by the different variants is that the first coins are very easy to "mine". This gives early adopters a great advantage. as more coins are mined it gets harder and harder to complete the necessary calculations . This was a intent in the design to prevent hyper inflation.
The real worm in the can is that as soon as quantum computing become available it will takeover the generation of new currency and the currency will be once again controlled by government who can afford the first quantum computers or it will drop in value to nothing due to quantum computing innate ability to generate billions of dollars in a very short time flooding the market. Once again forcing back into the hands of the government or becoming valueless.
I have seen many forms of independent currency come and go, from gold rings , billets, coinage , even several reports have indicated that Tide liquid detergent was used as a medium of exchange for drug deals in the United States. It was all devalued or eliminated by the government banking system or local inflation due to surplus or counterfeiting. Even the most useful online currency resides in a game called EVE. You can buy a PLEX, which means Pilot License EXtension. Those can be bought for real money and then can be traded ingame for the virtual currency ISK. On Activation, a PLEX grants 30 days of playtime. At the moment, 1 PLEX is about 600.000.000 ISK or 20 USD if bought from CCP(online bank)
crypto currency is going this same route as more and more types become available. It will have a use in closed community but as a global exchange it most likely will pitter out unless a nation state backs it. IMHO

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

If I recall correctly bit coin at least does had an absolute limit in how much can be created, though it is a very large number. The greater concern is the audit process, supposedly someone like the NSA could create a few billion coin purses, and if they have them all verify or refuse to verify transactions, things would come to a screeching halt. I'll have to look up where I read that.

Regardless of Bitcoin's future, the technology behind it, the block chain, is having a lot of impact. People even want to apply the tech to voting. I'd had some thoughts on a labor based currency that could be interesting, but I'm not sure it would really get rid of the issues other failed labor based currencies have had. It would sacrifice some anonymity, but that's a logical sacrifice for usability.
Evil is evil, no matter how small