Army discovers new energy source

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

windmill

Army discovers new energy source

Post by windmill »

http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?article=3036

Spontaneous dissociation of water into hydrogen and oxygen with an aluminum powder nanomaterial. Researchers claim 220 kilowatts worth of power after three minutes of reaction from 1 kilogram of powder.

ladajo

Re: Army discovers new energy source

Post by ladajo »

Interesting. I wonder how hard it is to make the powder, and what kind of residues are left in the reaction chamber.

This is along the lines of dropping a sodium tab into water.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

This is along the lines of dropping a sodium tab into water.
That's what I'm thinking. The energy to split water must come from somewhere; the energy necessary to create the nano powder. And the powder will degrade so that there is no net energy gain (e.g. by burning the gasses for example).

Still, if it real, could be a way to store energy in a chemical and/or mechanical. Like the sodium tab.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

It seems an amazing breakthrough if confirmed.
My only concern it that the article claim 220 KW of ENERGY in less than 3 minutes..... so is not really clear what they really want to say.
I wish they would learn to express ENERGY and POWER in a proper and correct way when writing such articles.
It would make reading more enjoyable and rise less doubts.

Let's wait till the first scientific paper release, it will hopefully clear any doubts and maybe also give some cost indication on the production of 1 kg of this stuff.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Who cares about net plus energy,It would make a a heck of a battery
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

At 1.2kw/sec, it would be a really hot battery!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

I wonder if this would be something where combining thermal-to-electric, in addition to the fuel-cell nature, would be worthwhile. The article states its an exothermic reaction, and one part says not a catalyst (which implies O2 is getting bound up in the Al powder) but another part mentions recombining the H2 and O2 (which implies the Al powder is a catalyst).

Of course it was written by PA, and talks about water being made up of two molecules of hydrogen and one of oxygen ... so any details need to be taken with at least a grain of salt, apparently.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

one part says not a catalyst (which implies O2 is getting bound up in the Al powder) but another part mentions recombining the H2 and O2 (which implies the Al powder is a catalyst)
Hence my question on the reaction's residue. Too little information at this point to really understand what they have. Piques the interest though.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I am pretty sure that the O2 is bonded to the Al2 to form Al2O3 powder and leave a pure H2 stream, else you would have a gas mixture of O2 and H2 with little to no practical use.

When they mention that the H2 recombine with the O2 to form H2O they mean that this happens into the fuel cell where the O2 is supplied from air.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

- Aluminum - Air fuel cells were being researched back in the 1970s. What I recall of semi-technical articles from the time, they used aluminum plates which needed to be replaced once consumed.

- Except for the properties of the adhering oxide, aluminum would react with water much like sodium. A fine aluminum powder made under conditions that prevented the oxide from forming on the exposed metal could react near explosively when introduced to water. This same powder would spontaneously rapidly combust on exposure to air, making it a dense but dangerous chemical energy source.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

Ars artis est celare artem.