Direct O2 evolution in collisions of carbon dioxide with surfaces

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Giorgio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Direct O2 evolution in collisions of carbon dioxide with surfaces

Postby Giorgio » Thu May 30, 2019 8:53 am

This is off topic on fusion related news, but I stumbled upon it today and I found it ingenious and a proof that science can still surprise in areas one would not expect.

Long story short, they was trying to understand the presence of O2 into the CO2 tail of a comets and they though it might come from the comet CO2 impacting particles as it was ejected from the comet. So they shoot molecules of CO2 against a surface and the impact force bent the linear structure of the "O-C-O" molecule forcing some of them to split and release O2.
Clever, smart and new ideas for me, so I wanted to share with everyone.

Original news release:

Nature's article with experimental details:

If you don't have time to read all of it, you can skip directly to Fig.3 to get a sum up of the experimental results.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Skipjack

Re: Direct O2 evolution in collisions of carbon dioxide with surfaces

Postby Skipjack » Thu May 30, 2019 2:04 pm

How much energy does it take to do that compared to other methods of splitting CO2 into C and O2?

Aero

Postby Aero » Thu May 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Does the character of the surface have any effect on the efficiency of oxygen production? I'm thinking along the lines of a catalyst. And there must be an energy level sweet spot to maximize conversion.
Aero

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:34 pm

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 31, 2019 5:18 pm

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 31, 2019 5:38 pm

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 pm

How much does it erode the impacted surface? And I presume ambient pressure has to be very low, of the O2 is likely to quickly react with the released carbon.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 am

Return to “News”