Helion Energy to demonstrate net electricity production by 2024

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Re: Helion Energy to demonstrate net electricity production by 2024

Post by paperburn1 »

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

charliem

Post by charliem »

And here we go again. The uninformed making all kind of claims about how they KNOW that Helion is going to fail / it is just another scam to fleece investors, or asking just once more about this or that specific detail of the machine.

If I were Helion, I'd add to my website a "research" section (like TAE, Zap, and others do), with links to my patents, presentations, videos, papers, and so on (moreover, some of them are quite hard to find in Internet, even knowing they are there).

At least this way we could direct the still undecided to some reliable sources, instead of having to repeat once, and again, and again, and again, the same data, arguments, numbers, etc. (that, anyway, no one seems to take at face value).
"The problem is not what we don't know, but what we do know [that] isn't so" (Mark Twain)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I agree. The Improbable Matter video did a lot of damage, unfortunately. Now every arm chair engineer without any idea about the concept, thinks they know better than the people actually working on it!

That said, if you check Helion's "Technology" page,there is a now a section with links to papers, videos, etc. It is going to grow over time (some papers are not yet available).

Unfortuantely Youtube does not allow posting links to external pages.

charliem

Post by charliem »

Thanks, I've visited their technology section a few times in the last months but, even after the recent face lift, the "Technical Resources" it still too short, it lacks many important links (for instance, any exchange with the USNRC regarding radiological protection or Tritium processing, or the ppt's used in various public conferences, etc.).

In other order of things. I'm quite fed up with Youtube and its unpredictable censoring algorithm. Don't know about your comments there, but more than 25% of mine are invisible for anyone else but me, and it doesn't seem that there is anything I can do to change that (and no, I don't include links in my comments, nor rude language, or any other form of bad manners). :evil:

I've written a few long, detailed answers to a few people objections and doubts, that took me some time to compose to my satisfaction, and they are just hidden to everyone. :roll:
"The problem is not what we don't know, but what we do know [that] isn't so" (Mark Twain)

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Indeed, Youtube is not reliable. Helion needs to post a video duplicate for each video on X (IMO).
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

charliem wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:10 am
Thanks, I've visited their technology section a few times in the last months but, even after the recent face lift, the "Technical Resources" it still too short, it lacks many important links (for instance, any exchange with the USNRC regarding radiological protection or Tritium processing, or the ppt's used in various public conferences, etc.).

In other order of things. I'm quite fed up with Youtube and its unpredictable censoring algorithm. Don't know about your comments there, but more than 25% of mine are invisible for anyone else but me, and it doesn't seem that there is anything I can do to change that (and no, I don't include links in my comments, nor rude language, or any other form of bad manners). :evil:

I've written a few long, detailed answers to a few people objections and doubts, that took me some time to compose to my satisfaction, and they are just hidden to everyone. :roll:
Yeah, Youtube's comment system sucks a lot. One thing to avoid is to post external links.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

charliem wrote:
YouTube apparently allows content posters to "hide users", meaning they can select users to make their comments invisible in the comments for their videos. It might be a case of the poster hiding anything contrary to the desired narrative.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Carl White wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:29 pm
charliem wrote:
YouTube apparently allows content posters to "hide users", meaning they can select users to make their comments invisible in the comments for their videos. It might be a case of the poster hiding anything contrary to the desired narrative.
I doubt that the content creator would want to hide our comments as they support his channel more than anything. More likely it is Youtube's algorithm.

charliem

Post by charliem »

Helion's David Kirtley is in the schedule for the 65th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Plasma Physics, for a short intervention at 09:30 on next November 3:

https://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/DPP23/Session/YO08.7

From the abstract, it seems he is not going to talk about anything new (so, no Polaris status, no data from Trenta).

Even so, it would be nice if someone could find a way for those of us that won't attend, to see whatever information is offered.

Ideas ?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

charliem wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:33 pm
Helion's David Kirtley is in the schedule for the 65th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Plasma Physics, for a short intervention at 09:30 on next November 3:

https://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/DPP23/Session/YO08.7

From the abstract, it seems he is not going to talk about anything new (so, no Polaris status, no data from Trenta).

Even so, it would be nice if someone could find a way for those of us that won't attend, to see whatever information is offered.

Ideas ?
Yeah, this is essentially a recap of the paper they released earlier. They have a second talk discussing the neutron diagnostics they used on Trenta.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, they have a paper coming up on diagnostics for Trenta and I believe there are more papers coming. But that process takes a while. So be patient.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Great talk at the All-In Summit 2023 with David Kirtley and Bob Mumgaard. There is not really much new information in case you are wondering. Love the optimism and the friendly competition between the two. And mind you, they emphasize that the market is so huge, that it is not really a competition. In fact, they rather fear that even between the two, they won't be able to keep up with ever increasing energy demand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPULlqA5Wc&t=780s

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Helion is collaborating with Nucor for a 500 MWe power plant for the steel sector. To my understanding, this will happen some time after the one for Microsoft. One goal of the collaboration is to accelerate behind the meter timelines. From my understanding, the US permitting system is too slow for grid connection permits (at least in the short term).

https://www.helionenergy.com/articles/a ... ith-nucor/

More information here:
https://www.helionenergy.com/articles/h ... wer-plant/

usesbiggerwords

Post by usesbiggerwords »

Helion is collaborating with Nucor for a 500 MWe power plant for the steel sector.
This is significant because there are numerous applications for this: steel, aluminum, chemicals, refining, all of which are heavy power users, typically with their own generation on site. Nice way to get around the regulatory apparatus and relieve the grid of some heavy, always-on users.