Superconductivity at low temperature and low pressure

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Munchausen

Superconductivity at low temperature and low pressure

Post by Munchausen »

Physorg reports on novel superconducting materials:
Viable superconducting material created at low temperature and low pressure
In a paper in Nature, the researchers describe a nitrogen-doped lutetium hydride (NDLH) that exhibits superconductivity at 69 degrees Fahrenheit (20.5 degrees Celsius) and 10 kilobars (145,000 pounds per square inch, or psi) of pressure.

Although 145,000 psi might still seem extraordinarily high (pressure at sea level is about 15 psi), strain engineering techniques routinely used in chip manufacturing, for example, incorporate materials held together by internal chemical pressures that are even higher.
Previously, the Dias team reported creating two materials—carbonaceous sulfur hydride and yttrium superhydride—that are superconducting at 58 degrees Fahrenheit/39 million psi and 12 degrees Fahrenheit/26 million psi respectively, in papers in Nature and Physical Review Letters.

Given the importance of the new discovery, Dias and his team went to unusual lengths to document their research and head off criticism that developed in the wake of the previous Nature paper, which led to a retraction by the journal's editors.
The 145,000 psi of pressure required to induce superconductivity is nearly two orders of magnitude lower than the previous low pressure created in Dias's lab.
https://phys.org/news/2023-03-viable-su ... ssure.html

LInk to the nature article:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05742-0

Other novel superconductors have taken 30 years to ripe into commercial products. Worth posting anyway to put it on the screen.

Giorgio

Re: Superconductivity at low temperature and low pressure

Post by Giorgio »

Impressive.

Lately there are so many interconnected technological singularities that are finally inching closer and closer to success that is hard to keep pace with all of them.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

PolyGirl

Re: Superconductivity at low temperature and low pressure

Post by PolyGirl »

Slashdot has a mention of the article [1]

From the article we have; "Jorge Hirsch, a physicist at the University of California, San Diego, and a vociferous critic of the earlier work, is even more blunt. "I doubt [the new result], because I don't trust these authors."

The earlier work as mentioned in a Slashdot article and the paper was pulled.[2]

Just a couple of thoughts how small was the sample and what are the numbers?

Regards
Polygirl
[1] Revolutionary' Blue Crystal Sparks Hope of Room Temperature Superconductivity
[2] Room-Temperature Superconductivity Study Retracted
The more I know, the less I know.