News As of October 2008

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Helius

Post by Helius »

it will be the next revolution or that it will solve the energy crisis.
I disagree. If anyone agrees with the quote, Please let us know now.

I do hope it will lead, in a few short years, to a solution, however. At any rate, the expected value of such research is so high, despite the lack guaranteed progress and success, the research must be done.

Besides, this sort of thing s so fun... and interesting! :shock:

energyfan

Post by energyfan »

Lets keep this thread just for the news, wether polywell works or not ... the other topics can be discussed in the general section

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

OH baloney, almost everyone on this forum is saying that!
Well yes in this forum, not the company, or so I have not heard.
I didn't say EMC2 is lying or desembling, but they are a one contract firm and they do have every reason to. Its a meal ticket.
there is some 'selling' that has to be done, in fact as it breaks down, for researchers it's typical to spend eighty percent of their time looking for funding, meaning they have to make their ideas look good to investors at least on what it could give them back. But I don't necessarly say it's EMC2 meal ticket. they simply want to bring Bussards idea to fruition.
Are you trying to imply that EEStor might be streaching technology? Well, I'd be the first to admit that they are pushing the tech. But not unrealistically. Read some of the current literature. Compare to old technology. Ten times more power at half the cost of led-acid batteries. Compare to new technology. Twice the power at much better cost that lithium ion batteries. There is nothing unbelievable about that. What is unbelievable is the current state of research using screen and ink jet printing.
I think EEStor is making claims that most people are taking a wait and see because it sounds to good to be true. With so many grandiose claims and almost nothing to show for it, I'm in that boat as well.

I've noticed that most people who are 'boosters' of Polywell tend to have a very emotional connection to it, they want it to happen so badly that they don't look at it objectively. Now, when there's no information, people are touting the "government is covering it up and wants it buried" because it was a failure.

Let's get serious, from a scientific point nothing is ever cut and dry, most of the time there is no "eureka" point where a world changing discovery occurs. Most of the time it's something small that is developed over years and often not for the purpose it originally was meant for.

I believe this, WB-7 has given us knowledge, if nothing but to let us know one more piece of the fusion enigma. Not saying it won't lead to something great down the road, but it will lead us.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Well, we really should move our argument to the general forum.
Or we could just call it a draw.
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Aero wrote:Well, we really should move our argument to the general forum.
I'd like to see that picture. Got a .jpg?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eestor

It's an interesting claim. We'll know in a few months if there's anything to it.
ZENN reiterates it expects a production unit by the end of 2008. [16]
They are either going to be very rich or look very foolish.

EMC2 isn't claiming anything, really, except that it might produce power with a larger design. Nebel has been pretty careful about what he knows and doesn't.

We can all hope that in 10 years we're drving EESTOR-powered cars to work in the morning and charging them from a Polywell-powered grid when we get home.

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

Well, we really should move our argument to the general forum.

Your right, this needs to be moved to the general forum.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Thank you gentlemen for choosing to move the discussion to the General section. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Tony Barry

Jboily

Post by Jboily »

TallDave wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eestor
The Eestor and the ZENN have very interesting technologies. ZENN are practically my neighbors!
A storage unit with such performances (even one tenth of what they claim) would be a game changing device. I would be very surprised that they would make such of an unfounded claim. They have however a very aggressive development schedule, I would expect the schedule would slip if they encounter unforeseen production and/or quality problems.
I think the high dielectric and electrical field value are a results of the use of nano-size particles. Thing get quite strange when you get that small.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ZENN further stated that the next milestone is permittivity testing, and there is no announced date for it at this point.
Red flag.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

TallDave wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eestor

It's an interesting claim. We'll know in a few months if there's anything to it.
ZENN reiterates it expects a production unit by the end of 2008. [16]

EMC2 isn't claiming anything, really, except that it might produce power with a larger design. Nebel has been pretty careful about what he knows and doesn't.

We can all hope that in 10 years we're drving EESTOR-powered cars to work in the morning and charging them from a Polywell-powered grid when we get home.
Cell Batteries?! This is MADNESS!!!!

well one can hope, how long did they say the batteries can last? I looked through the wiki, not very throughly tho, and it seem to only tell you about how much energy you can store. I looked at it, didnt really understand how that time relates to a full tank of gas...
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

Cell batteries...
While I hope these things work out as described, I can't say I'd ever be willing to place one within an inch of my face. To get the power densities, they're supposed to be charged to several hundred volts, with the ability to discharge at something over 10A.