Page 3 of 3

Re: Web site becoming unresponsive more often

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:58 pm
by DeltaV
While posting at T-P this past week, the site is locking up during Preview or Submit about 80% of the time. The lock-up probability goes up with the time spent editing before Preview or Submit.

Thus dies free speech, not with a bang, but with a spinning circle thingy...

Re: Web site becoming unresponsive more often

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:15 pm
by hanelyp
The lock-up probability goes up with the time spent editing before Preview or Submit.

That seems to suggest an idle virtual server being swapped out and taking too long to swap back in.

Re: Web site becoming unresponsive more often

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:38 pm
by DeltaV
Skynet, er, Google, knows that we are on to it (see the "Skynet is coming" thread).

I often see "Google [Bot]" listed near the bottom of the main page as being online at T-P... maybe that is the attack vector.

Re: Web site becoming unresponsive more often

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:27 pm
by Betruger
Is something like a kickstarter to pay for fix at all interesting/feasible?

Re: Web site becoming unresponsive more often

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:46 am
by hanelyp
Another phpbb forum I administer was upgraded and transitioned from sqlite to mysql database earlier this week. Before the upgrade it was periodically slow/timed out, like this site. After it's much faster.

Re: Web site becoming unresponsive more often

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:15 am
by JoeP
So, I've been experiencing this issue now for the past year. Maybe longer.

What seems to happen is when I click on a thread, or a link that opens a position in a thread, such as to a specific page, or the last post, the website stalls like 90% of the time. I used to wait a while and then re-click the same link, and eventually it would work.

I have realized that if I click a such a link and then follow it by the same click again about 2-3 seconds later, the website almost always responds within 4-10 seconds and loads the page requested.

My guess is that the server retrieved the page from the first click, but often does not continue and complete the request and send send it over HTTP. Then, via the second click, a second request comes in, and since the page is already swapped into storage, it quickly transmits the page.

This is irritating, and I post this for Joe S. just in case he wants to look into it. I am also interested in knowing if everyone else is silently dealing with this problem.

Thanks.