Better Software?

Discuss the talk-polywell site itself, including appearance, policies, and help-wanted requests from the administrators.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Better Software?

Post by KitemanSA »

Greetings All;

Might it be possible to change to a better forum software package? Many systems have the ability to comment to a comment and have them grouped as sub-treads. With this characteristic, if you aren't interested in the direction of a sub-thread, you can skip to the next prime comment and continue, without having to wade through the uninteresting stuff.

Thoughts?

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

phpBB does suck, but it's what's readily available on my server. However, this is phpBB 2; phpBB 3 is also available, and I hear it sucks less. I hope to upgrade to that soon.
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

One thing this set-up has is that while thread following may be harder it is easy to track new comments.

If you are going to get new software it should give a sub thread view and a latest in the thread view.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Joe,
I am "ye complete idiot" when it comes to this type of software, but I have a small amount of $ I am willing to invest. Is there some way to hire someone to help you to improve things a bit?

Same goes for that wiki I asked about earlier.

Dana

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Uh, for whatever it's worth, I think that this software is about optimal. For me at least. I find blogs, for instance, to be terrible.

If you want less MIRVing of subjects, just remember to start a new subject when you want to talk about a new subject. Trying to enforce good discussion behavior by use of software is missing the point, IMO.

Mike

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

I'm a great fan of threaded messaging myself, having used it in the majority of forums I'm in for the last 15 years, going back to this kinda very old fashioned approach is tedious.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

The "News" thread "the verdict is positive" is a prime example of why this forum should be migrated to a threaded package. A very interesting and "News" worthy discussion was hijacked, despite several calm requests to take it elsewhere, by a political discussion about the benefits of government control of the stock market.

PLEASE migrate this forum one that supports threaded discussions. Please please, please, please, please.

As I stated earlier (elsewhere?) I am willing to help foot the bill, even a fairly large one.

PLEASE!

Aero

Post by Aero »

If you doubt new software is needed, read this.
viewtopic.php?t=979
Aero