Name that distinguished scientist (hirez)

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Keegan

Name that distinguished scientist (hirez)

Post by Keegan »

This photo was taken in 1921. I cannot help but think those faces would not be happy with the current state of world affairs , 86 years in the future.

Can you name them ?

Purity is Power

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

(Now if I could only read the joined up writing, that might have helped me.. Still..)

Albert Einstein, Charles Steimetz and Nikola Tesla, to name 3 of them there, from here;

http://www.radlab.com/information/tesla.html

Here has a partial low res copy of the picture with some people missing;

http://www.infoage.org/einstein.htm

Though why Nikola Tesla is described in the list of people in the picture as being John Carson on this page I don't know..

Again here the same thing;

http://books.google.com/books?id=V1GBW6 ... #PPA262,M1

I can't easily find a picture of John Carson to compare, perhaps someone here knows whether its him or Tesla in the picture ?

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

Shit. They tried to erase Tesla. Its a conspiracy !

Very interesting stuff Nanos. Thanks for the links.

Theres some really amazing people in there. Ill give it a few days :D
Purity is Power

PolyGirl

Post by PolyGirl »

http://www.franklintwp.org/photoarchive ... q2m9t5.asp

In 1919, the old New Brunswick, New Jersey Marconi Company Wireless Station on Easton Avenue in the Somerset section of Franklin Township, Somerset County, New Jersey became part of the newly organized Radio Corporation of America (RCA) as station WII under the World Wide Wireless logo. RCAs David Sarnoff conducted an inspection tour of the facility in 1921. Some of the greatest scientists of the era attended. From left to right are: three unidentified men, David Sarnoff, Thomas J. Hayden, Ernst Julius Berg, S. Benedict, Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Charles Proteus Steinmetz, A.N. Goldsmith, A. Malsin, Irving Langmuir, Albert W. Hull, E.B. Pillsbury, Saul Dushman, Richard Howland Ranger, George Ashley Campbell and two unidentified men. Some of the unidentified men might be John Carson (engineer), and Ernst Alexanderson. Others may be additional station engineers like Thomas J. Hayden who is next to Sarnoff.

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

Katey ?

dweigert

Post by dweigert »

I live approximately 2 miles from the spot that the photo was taken.. There is no trace of the site left. A darned shame.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I am actually encouraged by the state of the world today.

The near term prospects for fusion are very good.

Who could afford a Telex in the living room in those days? We have way better, and the equipment in America is virtually free (people throw away perfectly good computers because they are out of date).

Plus, a call across America (if you could do it at all) cost dollars a minute. What do we pay for internet connect time? My cable modem (10 Mbs) runs about $30 a month. That is $1 a day. About 4 cents an hour.

JD

Post by JD »

MSimon

Sheesh, I'm paying $72 a month up here for a one meg (129 KBps) DSL hookup. Hmm a phone call from Fairbanks to Anchorage, prime time weekday, ran about $.53 a minute back in '93 as I remember.

BTW please pass on any tidbits that you can safely speak of. I would love to hear about progress before my rapidly approaching death from CO4 inhalation due to catastrophic permafrost melt that AGW will assuredly cause (the AGW alarmists are preaching again on this forum so it must be true, right?).

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

$185 here a month for (last time I checked.. unmetered.) 8Mbit down/512 up ADSL+static IP block, though that does also include free phone calls any time of the day/night in UK.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

JD,

There is no news on the experimenter front and all my other sources have nothing to say.

I expect every one is waiting to hear about the first glow before placing any more bets.

In the mean time I'm looking at pressure and gas flow issues. Control. And any thing else interesting that I can look into.

Keegan

The people and their contributions

Post by Keegan »

From left to right are three unidentified men,

David Sarnoff - President/Overlord of NBC and RCA, Purchased Victor Talking records. Got into a patent dispute with Philo Farnsworth in 1930 and was ordered to pay 1,000,000 dollars worth of royalties to Farnsworth

Thomas J. Hayden

Ernst Julius Berg - Swedish electrical engineer, early assistant to Charles Stienmetz, later Dean of engineering at Union college

S. Benedict,

Albert Einstein - Needs no introduction. Dreamt up E=MC2 long before the discovery of fission/fusion and now partially to blame for many of us having dreams of six silver dough nuts in our sleep.

Nikola Tesla - The King of electrical resonance. Pioneer of charged particle beams. Still yet to have his day.

Charles Proteus Steinmetz - Brilliant electrical engineer, responsible for 3 phase power systems and other ac power innovations

A.N. Goldsmith - During world war 1 he was the technical director of the allied signal corps, then became the chief director of research at the Marconi wireless company and later vice president of RCA

A. Malsin

Irving Langmuir - A prominent physicist who lead the way in the study and development of plasma, vacuum tubes and thermionic emission, coined the term plasma and quantified electron temperature

Albert W. Hull - Engineer for the GE research laboratory, greatly contributed to vacuum tube development, Invented the Dynatrom and the Coaxial Magnetron (in 1925 he built a 15kw magnetron @ 20khz) He also contributed to the Thyraton and Phanotron

E.B. Pillsbury

Saul Dushman- Contributed to the physics of thermionic emission and vacuum tubes.

Richard Howland Ranger- was an American electrical engineer and inventor as a designer for the Radio Corporation of America (RCA), in 1924, Richard Ranger invented the wireless photoradiogram, or transoceanic radio facsimile, the forerunner of today’s FAX machines. During World War II, he was put in charge of radar and communications at the Radio and Radar Test Labs in Orlando, Florida. He later went to Europe as part of an investigative team between 1944 and 1946 to examine German advances in electronics and wrote a series of technical reports on electrical components, communications, television, and (most significantly) magnetic tape recording. After the War, Ranger's work led to further development of magnetic tape recorders. He developed a product using the German technology,

George Ashley Campbell - was a pioneer in developing and applying quantitative mathematical methods to the problems of long-distance telegraphy and telephony.

and two unidentified men. possibly Ernst Alexanderson (invented the first voice modulated radio system with the Alexanderson transformer) and John Carson

It just strikes me as such an amazing photo, alot of those faces have contributed to the polywell and the future in ways they couldn't have imagined. It makes me wonder what that group of people could have accomplished if they knew what we knew today about nuclear fusion.

Although we have this wonderful monopolized information age where digital information runs wild and free, i cannot help but feel a silent powerful force is negatively influencing the human race in a desperate bid to keep us under controll. The only hope for the common man to be free of this financial and intellectual tyranny is a revolution sparked by abundance of cheap clean energy that only the polywell can hope to produce. After 86 years we may be finally getting our shit together.
Purity is Power

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

After 86 years we may be finally getting our shit together.

I'm down with that.

I really think we can make this sucker work!

dch24

Re: The people and their contributions

Post by dch24 »

Keegan wrote:It just strikes me as such an amazing photo, alot of those faces have contributed to the polywell and the future in ways they couldn't have imagined. It makes me wonder what that group of people could have accomplished if they knew what we knew today about nuclear fusion.

Although we have this wonderful monopolized information age where digital information runs wild and free, i cannot help but feel a silent powerful force is negatively influencing the human race in a desperate bid to keep us under controll. The only hope for the common man to be free of this financial and intellectual tyranny is a revolution sparked by abundance of cheap clean energy that only the polywell can hope to produce. After 86 years we may be finally getting our shit together.
Simply amazing. That kind of person is rare: how many Robert W. Bussards are there running around? And then, during the 40's there were all these smart, largely self-taught men working together, all at the same time.

I think we at least owe it to their memories (and Dr. Bussard's!) to get a polywell to continuously generate net power. They wouldn't have given up. I'm not really trained or equipped for it, but I am watching from the sidelines, doing what I can while I wait for a chance to really contribute.

Me too: I feel a silent powerful force is negatively influencing the human race in a desperate bid to keep us under control. I couldn't have said it better. I see people in the world falling into one of two belief systems: feudalism/despotism (rise to wealth and power by enslaving humans beneath you) or democracy (which I can't sum up in a sound bite like this).

The track record for despotism led to ruin way back before the first stable societies and organized governments. Feudalism lost the race during the colonization era of the world during the 1700's. But a democratic world society, and I think the world has this today, can fall easily to a tyrant. Greece. Rome. Germany. Iran. Maybe the U.S.

Two steps forward. One step back. Humans can be brilliant beyond anything one day, and utterly stupid the next. Sometimes we're lucky and the Einsteins of the world flee Germany in time.

With IEC polywell fusion, we can directly generate limitless electrical power. Electricity isn't a very good weapon. It's mainly useful to civilize countries. (Electrolyze seawater. Lighting. Communications. Electric motors for manufacturing and transportation and agriculture. The internet.) Oil and explosives are much more "military" sources of power than electricity.

Hopefully, technology will naturally lead the human race away from all the killing and war will become obsolete. Democracy is my favorite "technological advance" in this regard: in a democracy that really works, killing someone (anyone, from the prime minister to joe on the street) nets the killer nothing except a lot of angry people who then work all the harder to build democracy.

dch24

Post by dch24 »

I didn't even mention spaceflight, which fusion makes possible the way the jet engine made international flight possible.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

It is official US policy to end tyranny in our time.

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... n-our.html