Farnsworth experiments

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Zixinus

Farnsworth experiments

Post by Zixinus »

Does anybody have any good resource regarding Farnsworth's experiments?

pstudier

Post by pstudier »

Fusion is easy, but break even is horrendous.

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

The wiki article isn't bad, but I need more precise information. Isn't there a book regarding this?

jlumartinez

Post by jlumartinez »

Try browsing inside the links included in this other thread: viewtopic.php?t=112

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

Holy...that's allot. Thanks.

Tom Ligon

Re: Farnsworth experiments

Post by Tom Ligon »

Zixinus wrote:Does anybody have any good resource regarding Farnsworth's experiments?
The expert on Farnsworth fusor history is Richard Hull over at fusor.net. He has interviewed the surviving researchers for all the down-and-dirty details. He recently posted info from a previously ignored source. Among other things, in one of the earliest dog and pony shows, they apparently faked the neutron counts! It worked. They got funded and made machines that actually produced fusion.

The means of faking the results was to use electric arcs from a leak-test tesla coil to spoof the counter. I observed that effect at EMC2, and spent considerable time figuring out how to shield the counters and filter their power so they would not count even massive electric discharges. My recommendation is that they back up the electronic counters with methods such as bubble dosimeters so that it is totally unambiguous that the experiment produces fast neutrons.

http://www.fusor.net/board/view.php?bn= ... 1188238350