Dr. Bussard Planted Seeds

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Dr. Bussard Planted Seeds

Post by MSimon »

This is a short interview (text) with George Miley of U. Illinois.

Hull Interviews Miley

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

I'm surprised he even bothered. Richard Hull is the Eeyore of fusion... it'll never work, you're all dreamers, etc.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:I'm surprised he even bothered. Richard Hull is the Eeyore of fusion... it'll never work, you're all dreamers, etc.
Yes. I have had some e-mail conversations with him and he is not just a sceptic (as I am). He is a pessimistic sceptic.

However, in his favor, he is committed to facts.

I will add that his understanding of plasma physics is very light. Despite years of work with fusors. A lot of his pessimism comes from the fact that he has not figured a way to do fusion. A NIH type of guy. "If I can't figure it out no one can."

I have suggested that the fusor guys do some POPS type experiments (pump in RF or at least do RF scans of fusors) and he gave it no push.

A guy I really like there is Steve Sesselmann. I don't think his idea will work but, the fact that he is trying a different approach is greatly in his favor. I have had e-mail exchanges with Steve and he is a very enthusiastic type guy.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.