Atoms for Peace

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Keegan

Atoms for Peace

Post by Keegan »

In 1958 American, British and Soviet scientists began to share previously classified fusion research,
as their countries declassified controlled fusion work as part of the Atoms for Peace conference in Geneva.

(Click picture for Eisenhower's Speech)

This was the birthplace of international Fusion collaboration.

50 years later, Talk-Polywell exists as the finest iteration of that conferences ideals and the dreams of those men.

I am honered to be a member and cant help but think how fitting the "atoms for peace" motto is for the polywell movement.

Purity is Power

drmike

Post by drmike »

Yeah, it'd be nice if people would remember some of it:
Eisenhower wrote:It is with the book of history, and not with isolated pages, that the United States will ever wish to be identified. My country wants to be constructive, not destructive. It wants agreements, not wars, among nations. It wants itself to live in freedom and in the confidence that the people of every other nation enjoy equally the right of choosing their own way of life.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Ike did rock.

Mike

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

drmike wrote:Yeah, it'd be nice if people would remember some of it:
Ike's quote about the military-industrial complex was very sagacious, too. He was perfectly aware of the self-justifying nature of having a standing army (though I notice he didn't do a whole lot to end the draft, which would have put a stop to a lot of its worse abuses).