Dr. Nebel's History with Polywell

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

seedload

Dr. Nebel's History with Polywell

Post by seedload »

I am interested to know more about Dr. Nebel's history with Dr. Bussard and Polywell/EMC2 prior to Bussard's death. How well did he know Bussard? Had he had technical or consulting involvement with the Polywell project earlier than his assuming the technical helm? Was Bussard close enough with him to keep him totally informed on polywell and the theory/results he was having?

I am curious if Nebel had initial technical objections to the concept that made him believe it either wouldn't work or would be impractical. Were there any show stoppers in his mind prior to becoming more involved? If there were, I would be curious to know what changed his mind on these issues. Was the a eureka moment? Did he find anything in Bussard's notes that eliminated some deep seeded doubt that he had? He is obviously optimistic right now. Was he ever less optimistic and, if so, what changed?

Maybe someone else can answer some of the questions in the first paragraph. The second is probably up to Dr. Nebel himself but I understand if he is busy?

classicpenny

Post by classicpenny »

I am curious about these questions as well. Just in case you didn't know about it, this might shed just a little bit of light on your question:
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/SantaF ... s_into_fus
Dr. Nebel is mentioned and quoted at several points in the obit.

Bill Flint

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Dr. Nebel had been working at Los Alamos National Labs prior to his current gig; AFAIK he was working with the folks at U Wisconsin on their POPS concept.

Roger

Post by Roger »

scareduck wrote:working with the folks at U Wisconsin on their POPS concept.
Working with DR Kulcinski ? I think that would be a feather in Nebels cap. IIRC Bussard mentions the U Mad fusion work in the google video.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

When I first started to work for Dr. Bussard, he was in contact with a team by the interesting name of Barnes and Nebel. I can't pass a certain bookstore without smiling!

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet ... s&gifs=yes

My impression is, the relationship goes back prior to 1995, and has always been one of mutual respect and appreciation.