STATEMENT OF OBJECTIVES from RFP

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Re: definition of polyhedral magrid

Post by KitemanSA »

tombo wrote:
Art Carlson wrote: and the reason that discrete, non-osculating (my six-bit word of the day) coils must be used. I would like to add that the line cusps (or semi-line cusps, or quasi-line cusps - time for another round of dictionary)
I looked it up but how do you mean it to apply here? Do you just mean that the coils don't touch?
Technically, it means they don't "kiss" which in us enGanear's lingo means touch! :wink:
tombo wrote:
Art Carlson wrote: forming the three-armed star in the middle of triangular faces do not go away. On the contrary, there are now four-armed stars of line cusps in the middle of the square faces, too.
YES YES YES This is what i tried to say with too many words and maybe not enough of the right ones.
They may not "go away" but by changing the concave triangular virtual coil into a bowed trocoidal real coil, they should be GREATLY reduced. The perfectly round point cusp from the existing round coil may get a bit squarish, but it is not in evidence that it will grow arms and shine like a star. Remember, we are talking about bowed sides with spherical geometry. The square plan form isn't truly square but has a significant degree of curvature to it.
tombo wrote:
Art Carlson wrote:This is a consequence of the fact that the magnetic field cannot have a component perpendicular to any plane of symmetry. We also know from Indrek's beautiful pictures some time back that the field lines are not simply radial, but -- umm, what did they look like?
I liked the solar flare picture.
So do I, but they have no bearing here! :)
tombo wrote:It was late I was tired and mis-spoke(mis-wrote?)
The plane formed by 2 adjacent corners and the center of the cube.
I was emphasizing that the center of the edge between them is on that plane and is the location of the funny cusp.
Art said it better.
Ok. I agree, but with the WB6 configuration it has been grossly elongated into a quasi-line cusp. Bad, if there is metal there.
tombo wrote:
AC, I think) wrote:In fact all the line cusps and funny cusps are part of one connected cusp system.
I wrote:Ok. I disagree.
Look here http://www.mare.ee/indrek/ephi/invwb/ball2.png Follow all the connected blue and light blue areas. Then look at what Art Said.
Sorry, the way I read it seemed to imply it HAD to be that way, and it doesn't. Complete the virtual magnets, make them convex rather than concave, and the quasi-line cusps should effectively disappear.