First Cut at Glossary

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

I think that you may need to use the term "hypothesis" or the like in some of those definitions a bit more.

For instance, shouldn't:
claimed to be inherent in Polywell systems
Be:

hypothesized to be inherent in Polywell systems

?

There's a problem occasionally with the rhetoric around here that people will say, "Bussard claimed X," which is usually a lazy way of getting around saying, "Bussard hypothesized that X was true and did some preliminary experiments that lead him to believe that he was on the right track, but acceeded that much more experimentation was neccessary."

A glossary is a place to get it precisely right.

Mike

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Agreed.

OTOH I think if we have a statement from Dr. Nebel that cites experimental evidence, that should be given more weight, even if the actual data isn't available.

ohiovr

Re: First Cut at Glossary

Post by ohiovr »

KitemanSA wrote:
*MaGrid Magnetically Protected Grid.
Shouldn't we also mention that the MaGrid is positively charged?

KitemanSA

Re: First Cut at Glossary

Post by KitemanSA »

ohiovr wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
*MaGrid Magnetically Protected Grid.
Shouldn't we also mention that the MaGrid is positively charged?
Yup, and that it... Of the "definitions" MaGrid is perhaps the least defined, except MPG. I do intend to improve it and submit for comment, but it sort of "wnet along for the ride" with the other terms.

If anyone has any idea where the designator "MPG-1" for that simple machine came from, I would love to hear about it.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Dear Dr. Nebel,
To the best of your understanding, does "annealing" exist in the Polywell? If so, what are your leading hypothetical processes?

Sincerely,
FAQ Man

PS: This is how the FAQ Glossary currently reads:
Anneal A process, claimed to be inherent in Polywell systems, that helps keep the ions almost mono-energetic. Two processes have been suggested to account for annealing. The first posits that thermalization at the low energy high potential edge of the potential well will tighten the spreading of the energy distribution that occurs at the high energy, low potential center of the well. The second posits that klystron style bunching will keep the ions mono-energetic.