non-local effects on ion-electron energy transfer

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

If the radial velocity is 0, then what is causing the electron pressure?
You're confusing velocity and force.

This is like asking "If your vertical velocity is zero, what's holding you down on the Earth?"

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

blaisepascal wrote: If the radial velocity is 0, then what is causing the electron pressure?
The radially accelerated mass flux.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

The charged magrid has no electrostatic effect on the ions and electrons inside of it, the only effect is when they are outside of the magrid.
No effect is probably overstating. The Magrid is a very rough Faraday cage.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

KitemanSA wrote:
blaisepascal wrote: If the radial velocity is 0, then what is causing the electron pressure?
The radially accelerated mass flux.
The accelerated mass flux- I'm guessing several people jumping on a trampoline would represent this. They fall from a height due to gravity (mutual electron repulsion) and bounce off the trampoline surface, reversing their direction while pushing the trampoline mat (magnetic surface) down.

ps: my prevous post was edited to include a link to a thread about Gauss's Law.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

D Tibbets wrote:Think of it as a game of billiards as opposed to a game of darts.
You need to add angular momentum to your model, particularly because of the magnetic field.
Ars artis est celare artem.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

alexjrgreen wrote:
D Tibbets wrote:Think of it as a game of billiards as opposed to a game of darts.
You need to add angular momentum to your model, particularly because of the magnetic field.
The billiads vs darts example is just to imply that the electrons are bouncing off the Wiffleball border, not sticking to it.
Angular momentum is canceled in the ideal system. There is no angular momentum on the injected electrons (ideally). They are purely radial. Because the Wiffleball border is not a perfect sphere, the electrons will bounce off the surface at an angle. But concider that each lobe of the border curves mildly inward. A single bounce can make the electron go sideways to a degree, but if so, it will bounce off the next one or two curved surfaces to restore its's radial motion. Again consider billards. A ball may glance off the cushion at a shallow angle, but it will then bounce off the next cusion at a more acute angle (if it doesn't hit a hole (cusp)) , and after a few bounces it will travel towards the center of the table. I'm guessing this is why a convex surfaces allows for a stable contained plasma, compared to concave surfaces.

Of course a real system is much messier than my ideal example. And, I'm ignoring the slight sideways push imparted by the magnetic field as the electron complees a half orbit- actually a half spiral. I'm guessing this is a minor effect compared to the multiple bounce self centering collisions.

Dan Tibbets

blaisepascal

Post by blaisepascal »

TallDave wrote:

This is like asking "If your vertical velocity is zero, what's holding you down on the Earth?"
I think it's more like asking "If none of the air molecules are moving outward, then why isn't the balloon collapsing?".

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

blaisepascal wrote:
TallDave wrote:

I think it's more like asking "If none of the air molecules are moving outward, then why isn't the balloon collapsing?".
I thought of that example but hesitated to use it since it is a thermalized condition. If you could somehow make all of the air molecules move in radial directions instead of random directions, given the same temperature, would the ballon be bigger (better Wiffleball) ?

Dan Tibbets