The potential on the grid is irrelevant

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Art Carlson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The potential on the grid is irrelevant

Postby Art Carlson » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Last edited by Art Carlson on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexjrgreen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby alexjrgreen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Ars artis est celare artem.

TallDave

Postby TallDave » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:58 pm

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:06 pm

To error is human... and I'm very human.

Solo

Postby Solo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:17 pm

I've got a student license for OOPIC-Pro, it was only $50 but it was only good for a year though. It's not exactly the best tool for what we're trying to study. It doesn't allow the plasma to modify a background magnetic field if you chose to add one, so we can't find anything about diamagnetic effects.
I tried to duplicate Joel Rogers' results, but I found that the ion and electron count would stay pretty close together, and the potential well evaporated.

@Art Carlson: I agree with the title of this thread. Dolan's electrostatically plugged cusp machines relied on limiters and very strong cusp fields to keep the cusp plasma nonneutral. We don't have that for polywell, so we can basically ignore electrostatic confinement in the cusps: it'll be mirror confinement. The potential on the grid is irrelevant to confinement. (Now, if you let it float, it might reduce the energy loss associated with particle losses to it; Nebel said they've got significant heating on the coil braces.)

Return to “Theory”