F.O. Question to Collision:Fusion Ratios - DONE

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Ok, now that everyone is agreeing, how, if at all, do we improve Hanelyp's answer?
Polywell FAQ wrote:Related to the above question, wouldn't the ions thermalize after a while of constant collision?
Hanelyp wrote:The collision cross section for ions is much greater at low energies than at higher energies. Thus the ions thermalize much faster at low energies at the edge than at the high energies at the core. Thus the ions assume a narrow energy distribution associated with thermalization at a lower energy.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

The whole argument/debate is based on trying to understand the basis of the distributions of density - even if it does work as intended, the particular geometries will affect this. As the velocity drops towards an edge (if this is actually what happens, but Debye might have something to say about that!) then the density will increase. So you've got this multiple function going on in which velocity is dropping [presumed linear wrt r], density is increasing [linear x sqrt(r) - as it is a surface area of an expanding flux] and cross-section [which is exponential in nature, wrt v].

You've got a big differential equation to solve there and it should be expected that this would differ between different sizes, electric field gradients and whereabouts you're operating on the fusion cross-section curve. Too many unknowns, but stick with the [velocity].[cross-section].[density] = reaction rate, and whether you are sticking 'fusion cross-section' into that equation, or whether you are sticking your 'thermalising Coulomb cross-section', it is much the same. Potentially, some configurations could be imagined in which thermalisation is uniform across the operating region, whereas others you could set it up for more thermalisation in the middle, or towards the edge.

I would hazard a guess that the smaller you make it, the higher the thermalisation at the edge, the bigger you make it, the higher the thermalisation in the middle. So it may be desirable to make it as small as possible, for thermalisation to tend towards the edge, but by making it smaller so the confinement time will decrease, possibly below a value that is operationally viable.

...and this is all based on the presumption that Polywell *does* work as intended (and ignores circumferential scattering and many other inconveniences).

I regret there is no easy answer to this, hence I have not given one - it is a multiple variable partial differential equation, and we can't even know what functions to put into that equation until we see one operating and take some density/velocity/plasma parameter measurements of it. I regret I do not see that your question can be addressed as stated. Too many variables, too many unknowns at this time.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

xx
Last edited by TallDave on Sun May 30, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Again though, I'll restate my understanding of Bussard's emphasis on the Wiffleball trapping factor being more important for practical fusion levels, not for minimizing energy loss.
Yes, because Bussard believed the losses were only of electrons to unshielded areas or through cross-field transport (electrons going out through cusps "recirculated"). One of the odd things about Valencia is that Bussard really hardly talks about ion losses at all. Almost everything he says about "losses" refers to electrons. The gmj factor he refers to doesn't appear to include ions either. Bussard seems to have looked at this from a perspective of a machine that only leaks/loses significant numbers of electrons.
As far as Gauss's Law. In several threads here in the last ~1-2 years I have been informed that the lumpiness or continuity of the shell is not important. A wire grid would do as well. In fact the Faraday cage in the WB6 experiments was a rectangular wire mesh grid.and acted via Gauss's law.
In a Faraday cage, I think the "lumpiness" acceptable depends on the wavelength of the EM radiation that will be blocked. I'm not sure the balance of forces from on or outside the Magrid is equivalent everywhere inside (especially since in WB-8 the coil casings may not even be connected to one another). I remember 93143 expressing some doubt on that point, and I don't think Art agreed either because otherwise ions inside the Magrid would see no force from those exterior electron sheaths he was calculating forces for.

The Debye screening seems more problematic. My understanding is limited, but I've always seen this as being like, well, a screen. If the plasma screens off part of the forces a particle at the edge sees from the more distant sides of the Magrid, does that particle near an edge see unbalanced forces from the Magrid? Joel's simulation seems to imply it does.
Annealing- I think I have seen mention of edge annealing moderating the thermalization via upscattering or downscattering. I'm not sure if it has a similar effect on angular thermalization.
Rick seemed to think so. IIRC, he posted words to the effect that longitudinal velocity was high and radial low in the area of higher collisionality. Maybe I'll dig that up. That would probably be the best cite for the FAQ. I'll try to get to that this wknd, Kite.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

WizWom

Electron losses verses ion losses

Post by WizWom »

The electrons are confined magnetically, and recirculate on the magnetic field lines.

Since the magnetic field in the exact center is balanced, the electrons near this are pushed back and forth by the various magnetic fields; this is your "whiffle ball".

The electrons will find a cusp line, and be puled (rather forcefully) along it out of the core; then they will recirculate to a face along the magnetic field lines outside the core, unless they impact the vacuum chamber wall or are drawn to the negative plate of the electron guns (which will be conveniently placed where those electrons which would hit the wall anyway are pointed)

The (positive) ions are drawn to the huge potential well of the electrons in the center.

If we drive at 100 A, that's 1.6x10^21 electrons/second. With a trapping of just a millisecond (achieved in WB-6) that's a well of 0.1 C, that's a HUGE potential. Consider the lightest ion, your hydrogen ion, with a mass of 1.67x10^27 - that's going to experience a force of 1.44x10^-10 at 1m, and get a relativistic acceleration. Since this huge potential well is there, those ions are going to be hardly affected by anything else. Neither are they going to stray far, this potential is just too much to overcome.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

hanelyp wrote:To partly answer Chris' objection: A fast particle sweeps though volume faster. But the slower particle will have more time for collisions as it sweeps through a distance. So the number of collisions is proportional to distance covered * cross section, velocity canceling out.
Yes, except you need to know the velocity to pick which crossection value you choose.
Also, the number of all coulomb collisions is this value. But to determine the effect of these collisions, you need to know a third parameter, the magnitude of the deflection produced by the collision. This is dependant on the time the particles remain close to each other and this is dependent on the velocity of the particles. So if your measurement is used to represent the deflection magnitude over time, you have to multiply the collision rate by some value adjusted for this effect.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

WizWom wrote:The electrons will find a cusp line, and be puled (rather forcefully) along it out of the core; then they will recirculate to a face along the magnetic field lines outside the core,
After some discussion here over the years the consensus here seems to be that that doesn't happen. For one thing, the field lines for WB-7 go into the wall. The new hotness is cusp-plugging (with oscillation rather than recirculation all the way 'round the fieldlines). That seem to explains Tom's PZL observation better too.

Interesting numbers. Are you calculating just the force of the electrons there, or the well from the electron/ion differential?

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

TallDave wrote:
WizWom wrote:The electrons will find a cusp line, and be puled (rather forcefully) along it out of the core; then they will recirculate to a face along the magnetic field lines outside the core,
After some discussion here over the years the consensus here seems to be that that doesn't happen. For one thing, the field lines for WB-7 go into the wall. The new hotness is cusp-plugging (with oscillation rather than recirculation all the way 'round the fieldlines). That seem to explains Tom's PZL observation better too.
This, I suspect, is because they did not understand what Bussard was driving at. He expected the linear cusps to leak. The reason he wanted to go to a dodecahedron is because a pentagon fits around a circle better than a triangle or square. Circular coils are easiest to engineer. Instead they thought it was about chopping off the "cusps" with a magnetic block. I've seen at least one web page with a truncated cube suggestion.
Interesting numbers. Are you calculating just the force of the electrons there, or the well from the electron/ion differential?
I treated the 0.1 C as a point charge using Gauss' law. Then, the force exerted on a charge of +1eV by it at one meter is easily calculated 0.1*charge/(4pi*ep-nought)/r^2; choosing 1m removed r^2

The whole point of the polywell is to maintain this large coulomb force attraction, using the electric force to pull the ions in rather than some method to try to squeeze the ions with magnetics. Ever try to push water into a circle? Now imagine trying to push water up a hill into a circle in the open. Magnetic containment fusion is trying to push the water up a hill to the top. A polywell makes a hole, and the water automatically forms a puddle. The trick becomes making a dimple stay in your rubber sheet, when it really wants to pop flat.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Next version. Comments?
There is no easy answer to this, it is a multiple variable partial differential equation, and we don't even know what functions to put into that equation until we see a Polywell operating and take some density/velocity/plasma parameter measurements of it. There are too many variables, too many unknowns at this time.

However, there is a hypothesis that such thermalization is counter-acted by thermalization itself in a process called annealing.

The basis of annealing is that the collision cross section for ions is much greater at low energies than at higher energies. Thus the ions thermalize much faster at low energies at the edge than at the high energies at the core. And while the spread of energies in a thermalized high temperature plasma (at the core) is quite wide, the spread at low temperatures (at the edge) is quite low. Thus the wide distribution from whatever amount of thermalization at occurs at the core assumes a narrower energy distribution by thermalization at the lower energy of the edge. The ions then fall back into the core with the energy of the potential well plus a SMALL thermal distribution, remaining effectively mono-energetic. Hypothetically.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

A variation of the above answer is now inserted in the FAQ. At this point, this topic is done. If you want to make further comments, either PM me directly or start a new topic please.