New Polywell Paper

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Post Reply
mattman
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:14 pm

New Polywell Paper

Post by mattman »

The U of Sydney team has written another Polywell paper.

This one is impressive, it uses theory and simulations to investigate confinement inside the reactor.


http://pop.aip.org/resource/1/phpaen/v18/i11/p112501_s1

cuddihy
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:11 pm

Re: New Polywell Paper

Post by cuddihy »

mattman wrote:The U of Sydney team has written another Polywell paper.

This one is impressive, it uses theory and simulations to investigate confinement inside the reactor.


http://pop.aip.org/resource/1/phpaen/v18/i11/p112501_s1
Great paper. They really ought to have given a cite to Indrek Mandre's simulation work as by all appearances they at least duplicated it independantly if not directly using his code.
Tom.Cuddihy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faith is the foundation of reason.

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

I thought Indrek's work simulated HIGH beta, not the low beta/ cusp confinement of this work.

Indrek
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Post by Indrek »

KitemanSA wrote:I thought Indrek's work simulated HIGH beta, not the low beta/ cusp confinement of this work.
Nope. Early days all I did was field visualizations, electron paths and basic magnetic confinement. But I have to say it was all very amateurish :oops:.

I did try some high beta with possible wiffleball later on (well I did get a ball in my sims;). But I ran into instabilities and so left it there.

Indrek

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

So who was it that used an image magnet inside the MaGrid to simulate a high beta plasma?

Indrek
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Post by Indrek »

KitemanSA wrote:So who was it that used an image magnet inside the MaGrid to simulate a high beta plasma?
That was later work together with icarus and is actually analytic in nature, not a simulation.

Indrek

Diogenes
Posts: 6958
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:33 pm

Post by Diogenes »

OMG is there finally something new (and interesting) in the Theory thread?
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

Indrek wrote: That was later work together with icarus and is actually analytic in nature, not a simulation.
Was this in any way related to the bag analysis that kcdodd did?

PS: It is NICE to hear from you again!

krenshala
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Austin, TX, NorAm, Sol III

Post by krenshala »

Diogenes wrote:OMG is there finally something new (and interesting) in the Theory thread?
In theory there is. ;)

Post Reply