Question: How is the electron not getting into the machine?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

KitemanSA wrote:
D Tibbets wrote: After my rambling, the points are that all cusps have zero strength in the middle by definition.
Dan,
Throw away all you know and start again. Until Dr. B. and the Polywell, NO cusps had zero strength. Cusps were areas of very high, but radial, strength. Learn it please.....

I don't know what you are trying to say here. Bussard certainly didn't invent new physics or change the understanding of cusps. What he did was manipulate the geometry of multiple cusps that seemingly overcome previously perceived possibilities for magnetic confinement efficiency versus volume. Added to that is appreciation of differences between neutral and non neutral plasmas, and the magnetic confinement differences between ions and electrons. These three elements plus the benefit of plasma compression of B fields in a near spherical geometry led to the Polywell concept.

I can see where you might consider long radially strong cusps being used as the normal, but consider, this is a configuration for a Penning trap which is designed for containing a few particles like anti protons. The density of the plasma is so low that it can be considered almost non collisional and thus no worry about ExB drift in the narrow spaces between magnets. Fusion Mirror concepts often used magnet dimensions similar to the Polywell. Cusp losses, especially the line or equatorial cusps of the opposing magnet machines, were always the primary concern, but it was recognized that attempts to correct this could introduce greater ExB drift concerns, along with instability concerns. I believe this was the case with Loffe-bars.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

There's no opposing field, though. The current in the coils around the cusp have the same rotational direction relative to a vector normal to the face. That's why there has to be an even number of faces.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

D Tibbets wrote:Once again KitmanSA primary means of debating, or rather argueing its to belittle the opposition. Some points . He conceeds that there is a nullo (zero) B field in the center of the Polywell, yet he ignores that the B field isobars extend into and through the cusps.
Dan,
Few lines crossing a unit normal equal weak field, no lines equal no field, MANY lines equal strong field.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

D Tibbets wrote: I don't know what you are trying to say here. Bussard certainly didn't invent new physics or change the understanding of cusps.
Please find me one instance of any invention the has four or greater even number of fields coming together at the same point. They called it a funny cusp because it was NEW and they had no name for it. Yes there was a new understanding of cusps. Until you get four or greater even number of fields coming together like that you cannot get the cancelation of fields that is unique to the funny cusp (and its metalless brother the X-Cusp).

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

KitemanSA wrote:
D Tibbets wrote: I don't know what you are trying to say here. Bussard certainly didn't invent new physics or change the understanding of cusps.
Please find me one instance of any invention the has four or greater even number of fields coming together at the same point. They called it a funny cusp because it was NEW and they had no name for it. Yes there was a new understanding of cusps. Until you get four or greater even number of fields coming together like that you cannot get the cancelation of fields that is unique to the funny cusp (and its metalless brother the X-Cusp).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipole_magnet

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Nice tries, but they face each other, they don't come together at a single point.

Imagine 4 square planform coils each in the same plane. Bring the corners of the 4 magnets together so they form a 2x2 grid. Put current thru the magnets such that the fields are alternatively up, down, up, down. That is the uniqueness of the Polywell. At the center where they meet is a funny cusp. Zero field. In the middle of each magnet is a point cusp. Large field. Simple.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

KitemanSA wrote:Nice tries, but they face each other, they don't come together at a single point.

Imagine 4 square planform coils each in the same plane. Bring the corners of the 4 magnets together so they form a 2x2 grid. Put current thru the magnets such that the fields are alternatively up, down, up, down. That is the uniqueness of the Polywell. At the center where they meet is a funny cusp. Zero field. In the middle of each magnet is a point cusp. Large field. Simple.
yes, opposite coils oppose. thus you have a null field in the center. i don't consider that a cusp. i consider a cusp as an extrama of a surface where electrons are asymptotically more likely to traverse through the surface than other regions on the surface that are not cusps. thus represent a potential loss vector.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

happyjack27 wrote: yes, opposite coils oppose. thus you have a null field in the center. i don't consider that a cusp. i consider a cusp as an extrama of a surface where electrons are asymptotically more likely to traverse through the surface than other regions on the surface that are not cusps. thus represent a potential loss vector.
I guess that is one way to put it. But the point is that point cusps and line cusps have strong fields with radial vectors, so the charged particles can follow them out while the rest of the area has weaker fields with significant transverse vectors so the particles are reflected back in. Except for the funny and X cusps which have no field.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

sigh...

a solenoid does not have zero field at the very center of the ring. B field of a ring of current is just a very short solenoid (actually its more complicated than that, a solenoid's field is all parallel, so in terms of cusps its like a 'plane cusp'? lol)

B field vector components sum up appropriately. So because field strength of ring current changes as you move away from the ring, it's not constant, and it's not zero anywhere inside the ring and the ring plane, it's impossible for opposing magnets fields to cancel each other at the center of the ring in the ring plane. In fact the only place the field would be low or zero is at the very center of the polywell, where all opposing rings' fields cancel each other out.

I can get the math out if you would like, but that's like me bringing out a gun to kill an ant.

So can we please go back to being productive now?

@KitemanSA: thank you, I can't say much (if anything), but things may be in the works. I would like to discuss this with you in more detail, please go to my other thread and help me answer some of those questions.

PS: @happyjack27: yes, you're right sorta, the mag force in the guiding center perspective is indeed zero, but that's by definition, again sorta. The velocity component going out of the machine, if it's parallel with the field out the center (only way to do this is if the particle is at the very center following the field out), then qV x B=0, but the particle isnt just moving out of the machine, it's circling the line in the xy plane. In fact anyplace where V has any component not parallel to the B field, F=/=0. What's keeping the particles wrapping around the field lines is the mag force.

Maybe what you meant is there's no force influencing the particle from recirculating back to the faces of the machine and hopefully back into the machine at the center of the rings, which I can give you that. Given a B field strength, machine size and electron velocity, there's like a circular area from the center of the ring where the force isnt strong enough to get the particle back in. The faster the velocity the bigger the area; the stronger the B field, the smaller the area.

(but saying F=0 at the center is still not really true, because Del dot B= zero, so field lines have to complete itself at some point, which means physics breaks down a little bit when you're talking about the absolute center, because at the absolute center, it implies the line just goes off forever and wraps back at infinity.... but it doesnt matter, the field line are so straight that they would hit other objects.)

Seriously, can we go back to being productive and not have arguments about college sophomore physics or electrical engineering E&M?
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

i got it rob. i realized my mistake before my post before my "..there's no opposing field, though... " post.

as regards being productive, no progress can be made unless we're all on the same page about the physics. so this is currently the only way to be productive. i believe we're all on the same page now.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Robthebob wrote: B field vector components sum up appropriately. So because field strength of ring current changes as you move away from the ring, it's not constant, and it's not zero anywhere inside the ring and the ring plane, it's impossible for opposing magnets fields to cancel each other at the center of the ring in the ring plane. In fact the only place the field would be low or zero is at the very center of the polywell, where all opposing rings' fields cancel each other out.
You are essentially saying that opposing magnets in a 3 D arrangement can cancel out, and that this cannot occur in a 2 dimensional arrangement (space). And yet you (and/or others) use a two dimensional representation (2 D slice) of the Polywell, point to it and say- 'See the zero field in the center'. With the above argument, this is nonsense.

There seems to be confusion about digital and analog representations of magnetic fields. In a vacuum magnetic fields are analog in nature, at least in the ranges we are talking about. At some intense scale quantum effects become significant, but we are far from those conditions in the Polywell so it is safe to say the B fields are approximately analog. They decrease to zero at an infinite distance from the source. With opposing magnets, whether arranged in a 2 dimensional plane or a three dimensional sphere, the same applies except that the opposing fields, well... oppose each other, They do not pass through each other (which would imply that they were not opposing). There has to be a zero field strength between the two domains. Granted this is a theoretic situation in a pure vacuum and practically this condition could not occur in the real universe (which is not a pure vacuum). But, it is safe to say that so long as the conditions where quantum magnetic effects and uncertainty principles are insignificant, the zero condition is very closely approximated. Also, granted this almost zero B field strength region is much smaller than the gyro radius of any charged particle of interest, still it exists. As I have repeatedly stated the important point is the gradient at which the B field increases from this null point (or near null point if you prefer) to strengths that effects the particle containment - mirroring. This is a moving target depending not only on the B fields, but also the charged particle characteristics- speed and vector. The cusp diameter, area is thus defined. You could define a cusp as extending to near the surface of the magnet cans, it all depends on the limits you choose. I don't know what standards are used. An assumption may be that a cusp diameter is chosen that results from 99% of all possible charged particle trajectories/ vectors results in mirroring. Any other assumption may be used.
The difference between a true point cusp and a line cusp, is that a point cusp loss area will be a circle or other closed geometric shape , ideally the length is ~ the same as the width. A line cusp has a length that can be unlimited theoretically. Piratically, in a circle or other closed geometric shape the length is limited by the circumference. Also, a line cusp by definition has physical surfaces bridging it if magnets are connected to each other by nubs, or long nubs/ standoffs. These can be partially shielded but cannot be shielded as well as the main magnets. ExB and possibly significant ExY drift issues are relavent. At equal intensity relationships a point cusp loss area may be 1 cm wide by 1 cm, long while a line cusp would be 1 cm wide by perhaps 31.4 cm length with a 10 cm diameter magnet ring (actually a pair of such rings where the separation is equal to the diameter of the point cusp generating magnet ring).

What is significant about the Polywell is that the separation of the line cusp generating rings are moved much closer together, thus the fields are stronger in the mid section (correction- near the mid section, I almost ignored my own perspective) between them and this significantly reduces the width of the cusp loss area. This can be simply considered as a stronger central field, but is, again, the gradient from the null center to the adequate field strength that determines the loss area, cusp width. As the magnets are moved together this width decreases till eventually the product of the width times the length of the line cusp can approach or even improve on the loss area of the corresponding point cusp. This is what is meant by the line cusps becoming "point like cusps" . The physics of the line cusp does not change , only the "practical cusp loss area". A line cusp does not become a point cusp.

The obvious consequence of moving the magnets closer together is two fold. The line cusp losses become less, but the internal volume also becomes less, and fusion yield scales accordingly downward. The Polywell is a cleaver 3 D arrangement of magnets that greatly reduces the width dependent loss component of the unavoidable line cusps without the penalty of decreasing the effective volume. This is why the total cusp loses in the Polywell at the same internal volume of an opposing two magnet mirror machine is about 10 times better (taken from the EMC2 patent application). This is significant, but still not enough. The further improvement from the Wiffle Ball effect makes up the rest of the gains, but that is a different topic.

A line cusp is a line cusp. I do not see how placing a point cusp (even if the x-cusp can be considered a point cusp)between two line cusps would improve things. he key is to move the line cusp generating magnets as close together as possible. Bussard did this by having the magnets touch, but he had a flaw in his reasoning that negated ExB drift concerns. He reconized that he still had line cusps, but he ignored the unshielded losses by assuming the magnet cans were theoretical lines so that the aviable loss area exposure was infinatly close to zero. Thus the "Funny cusps where recognized line cusps but acted effectively like point cusps (ExB drift and ExY drift concerns were inconsequential). Of course WB6 with it's spacing between magnets was a recognition of the real world versus the theoretical one. There was a needed compromise between cusp mirroring loses and ExB drift loss concerns. The ~ 10 fold improvement in WB6 electron containment reflects that the ExB losses (along with conformal can shape and nub minimizing) were significant to such an extent that adjusting the cusp mirroring confinement efficiency in order to reduce the other losses still resulted in a net gain (with the help of increased recirculation). With X cusps you do shorten the line cusps some, but you are not eliminating the exposed metal. And the line cusps in the basic truncated cube Polywell already has line cusp confinement properties better than the true point cusps. Ignoring ExB drift concerns, I concede that relevant B field strengths (gradients from center to magnet surfaces) would help within the X cusp, but I'm doubtful there would be a net gain.

If available, the comparison between WB 7.0 and 7.1 would be enlightening.

Back to the analog versus digital perspective. KitemanSA likes to point out that the isobars represents a null field in the center of the near sphere but still ignores these isobars extending into and through the cusp. You can choose a resolution that crowds the iosobars so close together in the cusps that they look solid, but this is a digital artifact. It does not imply that the fields are stronger in this region (compared to the same isobar in the center of the machine), it means that the gradient is greater. This is the same as weather pressure maps or land elevation maps. The isobars do not imply strength or height directly. They have to be labeled or traced to a section of the same isobar that is labeled to determine strength (either that or count the isobars against a defined strength scale which is the same thing). What they do imply is that as they become closer together the gradient or rate of change becomes greater. In the Polywell representations this is the weakening of the magnetic fields as they approach the midline or mid point between opposing magnets. It the illustration that I'm sure KitemanSA used the field lines are very close together in the midplane of the magnets, compared to the center of the machine. This implies that from the center of the cusp towards one of the magnets, the field strength increases rapidly to the point where the cusp boundries are defined. This implies a smaller cusp area, but does not have anything to do with the field strength in the dead center of the cusp (which is zero or very close to it). This could be interpreted as having stronger fields in the center, but this is misleading, though perhaps practically useful. It is all about the gradient to some limit that is reached at some isobar away from the center/ mid line. This is exactly the same as the central region of the three dimensional near sphere. At some strength (isobar) the charged particles will be mostly mirrored. Because the isobars are further separated in the center (because it is further away from the magnets) the surface area/ volume of this area is greater than the cusp loss area at the magnet mid planes. There is still B fields in the center (except at the exact center), but the strength is too weak to mirror. Of course the picture changes when significant numbers of charged particles are introduced and Wiffleball effects become significant. But for this discussion the magnetic field strength in an absolute since is not important. It is how far out the isobar that is linked to mirroring is pushed out . I suspect the same occurs in the cusps, but surface area change ratios are much different. ie- the central area increases considerably, but the mid plane cusp loss cross section increases much less because the neighboring B field gradient is greater.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

D Tibbets wrote:
Robthebob wrote: B field vector components sum up appropriately. So because field strength of ring current changes as you move away from the ring, it's not constant, and it's not zero anywhere inside the ring and the ring plane, it's impossible for opposing magnets fields to cancel each other at the center of the ring in the ring plane. In fact the only place the field would be low or zero is at the very center of the polywell, where all opposing rings' fields cancel each other out.
You are essentially saying that opposing magnets in a 3 D arrangement can cancel out, and that this cannot occur in a 2 dimensional arrangement (space). And yet you (and/or others) use a two dimensional representation (2 D slice) of the Polywell, point to it and say- 'See the zero field in the center'. With the above argument, this is nonsense.
Dan,
What in the world are you saying? The two issues are diametrically opposed. In the center of the Polywell, the fields oppose and thus cancel. In the center of a cusp, the fields (other than funny and X) reinforce and thus get stronger. It is simple superposition.
Please stop this foolishness.

Robthebob

Re: Question: How is the electron not getting into the machi

Post by Robthebob »

hey, a while ago there was some papers about ballooning effects in cusp machines on this forum, can anyone direct me to those papers?

In other news, I wanted to write a paper about the sum of all drift velocities in a polywell (like ExB, del(B), del(P), etc), my boss, who's also the professor of the class I was playing to write the paper for said he wants me to look at MHD equilibrium of polywells (I thought the machine shouldnt be treated in the MHD style, so maybe just equilibrium in general), anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

mattman

Re: Question: How is the electron not getting into the machi

Post by mattman »

Rob,

The Sydney paper mentions MHD stability. I doubt this will be enough for the critics. Your boss is correct to look at this.

They cite a work from Harold Grad from 1958. Mr. Grad was a luminary of plasma physics back in the day. I have read that paper.

===================================
Do you have MATLAB? If so, I have code your going to want to download.

You can download it here: https://github.com/ThePolywellGuy

If that does not work, I can dropbox it to you. The code generates the magnetic field in WB-6. For real. I bench marked it. I used the model from the Sydney paper and details from Bussard's paper. I have been working on this since September. There are 7 programs available:

1. A model of a single ring, where you enter XY coordinates.
2. A model of a single ring, which generates the XY plane field
3. A model of a single ring, which generates an XY energy density map.
4. A model for all rings, in which you enter an XYZ coordinate
5. A model for all rings, which generates the XY plane
6. A model for all rings, which you model the B field as you move along a line.
7. A model for all rings, which you generate the field in the ZY plane

There are probably bugs - but I feel it is sufficiently ready for everyone to look at.