massive megahertz multi megawatt magnetron

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
93143 wrote:I think he was thinking of a coil gun.

Just out of curiosity, how much would a 6 GW DC-DC converter capable of stepping down from 1.5 MV to maybe 1-10 kV actually weigh? How big would it be? Would it weigh more than a 6 GW BFR? A lot more? I suspect so, but I want to make sure...
MSimon and I were discussing compactness, primarily with respect to use aboard Naval vessels. I cannot currently imagine a Naval vessel that would require anywhere in the neighborhood of 6GW. Indeed, most Naval uses would be in the 100MW size that Dr B proposed to begin with (Navy funding, no coincidence).

Power electronics is not my gig, but don't variable speed electric motors like those that would be used for Naval propulsion all essentially convert supply power to DC and then reconvert back to proper frequency AC? If so, mayhaps a DC supply from the BFR would skip two evolutions and be a better fit to start with. Anyone?
Yes. Variable speed motors use variable frequency and voltage AC. The voltage limit for AC motors is probably in the 10 KV range although I think 1KV to 2KV is more common.

So you have to downconvert the 2 MVDC to about 15KV to get 10KV AC. (peak vs RMS)

And yes 100 MW is an excellent size for ships - the first submarine production reactors were in the 30 MWth range. Also the 100 MW size is about the limit for conventional cooling. So it all fits together nicely.

Figure 10 MW for actual net electrical/mechanical power - that is 10 KV (RMS) @ 1,000 amps. Roughly 10,000 HP.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Post by 93143 »

Sorry; let me clarify. I'm not talking about naval power. There was power conversion talk, so I thought I'd see if anyone knew whether that kind of stepdown was plausible on an aerospace vehicle.

Hence the 6 GW.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

93143 wrote:Sorry; let me clarify. I'm not talking about naval power. There was power conversion talk, so I thought I'd see if anyone knew whether that kind of stepdown was plausible on an aerospace vehicle.

Hence the 6 GW.
Not yet.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Post by 93143 »

Thanks.

Remember my atmospheric high-thrust ion drive idea? Thought not - but the reason I rejected it was that I thought the necessary power conversion equipment would be prohibitively large and heavy. I guess I was right... QED all the way... unless that 6 kN 1.5 kW QVF-MHD test article works...