Effects of high energy alpha on materials

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

eros

Re: Wiffle ball effect on Alpha's

Post by eros »

blaisepascal wrote:
eros wrote:
You mean that force depends at charge and alphas charge is two times electron. So force is double, but mass 3600x so accelration comes 1800 times weeker than electrons.
I mean't acceleration all around, since it's acceleration which is directly related to the kinematics. a=F/m, and F is proportional to charge q.
I see that force makes accelration, but its minor thing, accelration is only thing that what we see in circulation fromula a=v²/r.
blaisepascal wrote:
electron, it's 7200 times as massive. So the acceleration on the electron is 3600 greater, not 1800 times greater, than the acceleration on the alpha.

The radius is (as far as I know) the gyroradius, which is related to the magnetic field. It's inversely proportional to the magnetic field strength and charge, and proportional to the particle momentum perpendicular to the magnetic field. Under otherwise identical situations, the same calculations as above apply, and the alphas have a gyroradius 3600 times as large as the gyroradius of the electrons. The only changes left to affect it are the velocity and direction of the particles. But unless the alphas are significantly slower than the electrons, their gyroradius is going to be significantly larger.
You know that E=½mv². And just say that alphas are 7200x heavy as electrons.
that means same speed alphas have 7200x energy. So 2Mev alpha and 0.07Mev electron have
0.07/v_1²=2/(7200*v_2²)

v_1²/v_2²=0.07*7200/2=252
v_1=15.8*v_2

So speed differs quite much. It make sense, that B effects to charge, better calculations are needed, but there _may_ be some broblems with alphas gyro radius..
</ Eerin>