I had a dream last night

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

imaginatium

I had a dream last night

Post by imaginatium »

Last night I had a dream that I was involved with building a polywell.

The magrid was a buckyball made of 32 0.5 meter radius, frustum shaped coils (similar to the ones proposed by charliem), each one independently suspended from the vaccum chamber by 2 cooling pipes. There were no connectors between any of the colis.

The coils were constructed from a thin film high temperature superconductor backed by a corrugated insulator, which allowed LN2 coolant to flow laterally through it. Additionally there were 2 layers of water, each separated by a vacuum layer. The outer casing was coated in Boron.

Unfortunately, I woke up from the dream before we got to the configuration of the electron and ion emitters or the collection grids.

I was wondering, if there is anything in this dream, that has any merit toward real world design of a polywell, or if it was just a nonsensical dream.

It's interesting, that right after I had that dream, Art Carlson posted about, research being done, to test the connections, between the coils.

edit: fixed typo 32 coils, not 36.
edit: changed .5 to 0.5 for clarity.
Last edited by imaginatium on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Lets make the dream come true. I'd prefer coils that were somewhat smaller.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

The chemist Friedrich August Kekulé diskovered the strukture of the benzene molecule C6H6 after a dream about a snake how seizing its own tail.

imaginatium

Post by imaginatium »

MSimon wrote:Lets make the dream come true. I'd prefer coils that were somewhat smaller.
Maybe you misread it. I said was .5 (0.5) meter radius, not 5 meter radius. Would smaller coli's produce net power?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

When I first read it, your initial post said 36.5 (32.5?) meter coils. Now THAT is big coilage! I think that was what MSimon referred to.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

By the way, a "buckeyball" is a truncated icosahedron. It does not meet the criterion for making a polywell because it does not have an even number of faces at each vertex.

If you continue to truncate the icosahedron, you get to the point where it is "rectified". At that point you could make a polywell, but it is identical to the already proposed rectified dodecahedron. So all you really need is 12 pentagonal coils to make the best available polywell. Dr. B already proposed to do just that.

How do we make it happen?

imaginatium

Post by imaginatium »

KitemanSA wrote:By the way, a "buckeyball" is a truncated icosahedron. It does not meet the criterion for making a polywell because it does not have an even number of faces at each vertex.

If you continue to truncate the icosahedron, you get to the point where it is "rectified". At that point you could make a polywell, but it is identical to the already proposed rectified dodecahedron. So all you really need is 12 pentagonal coils to make the best available polywell. Dr. B already proposed to do just that.

How do we make it happen?
Like I said, this was a dream. In the dream, it was rectified, and there was some reason to believe it would be superior to a dodecahedron .

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Yeah,

I read it before the changes were made.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.