Cogeneration capability

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

windmill

Cogeneration capability

Post by windmill »

Cooling the magrid seems to be a topic that arises from time to time on this and other forums. I was wondering: how practical it would be to use a closed brayton cycle helium gas turbine like the ones proposed for next-generation fission plants, to generate power from the magrid cooling system? You could plumb helium at high pressure through channels immediately below the magnet case surfaces, and get 20 megawatts of otherwise wasted power, while shielding the superconducting magnets from the heat of the alphas in a P11B fueled design. I'm not sure if this would work with neutrons in a DD plant.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Efficiency in converting 'waste' heat is constrained by how hot you allow components inside the reactor to get, and thus how hot the coolant gets. Whether you'd get enough electricity out to be worth the trouble can't be decided until more engineering questions are answered. My impression is that direct conversion efficiency is a bit overstated, and converting heat from the outer shell would be worth it in some cases.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

hanelyp wrote:Efficiency in converting 'waste' heat is constrained by how hot you allow components inside the reactor to get, and thus how hot the coolant gets. Whether you'd get enough electricity out to be worth the trouble can't be decided until more engineering questions are answered. My impression is that direct conversion efficiency is a bit overstated, and converting heat from the outer shell would be worth it in some cases.
Concur.