Time to build an electron injector by myself

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Solo

Post by Solo »

MSimon: I'm going to UW in the fall, but I'm not doing IEC - I'm going magnetic. Sorry to disappoint :-) But yeah, maybe Rob can get in touch with George Miley.

Or actually, Andrew Seltzmann (sp?) from the fusor.net is at UW, and I've been emailing him about campus housing ... I could probably pass a word from Rob on to him.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Solo wrote:MSimon: I'm going to UW in the fall, but I'm not doing IEC - I'm going magnetic. Sorry to disappoint :-) But yeah, maybe Rob can get in touch with George Miley.

Or actually, Andrew Seltzmann (sp?) from the fusor.net is at UW, and I've been emailing him about campus housing ... I could probably pass a word from Rob on to him.
Do. I'm also connected to Andrew if that would help. But don't let me get in the way. BTW when you get to campus and get settled in I'll introduce you to Dr. Mike who lives in the area. Give me a heads up.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

@solo- really? not another one, do stellerator, dont do toks, those things arent gonna get us anywhere currently. I mean really, im not holding my breath, just waiting, as I said before, I just want to know if it will work or not. I want an answer quick.

I was listening to a NBC broadcast of the story on Famulus, I swear, if tok physicists wont keep their mouth shut, generally, they're smart enough to know they dont know anything about what's happening with other approaches, but whatever.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Solo

Post by Solo »

@Rob: eh, sorry for getting us off topic. SO, where are we at now? ok, did we decide what would be a useful diagnostic or measurement to make on a small Polywell? (cross-check that with practicality later...)

Hey speaking of fusor.net, Rob, you should visit the place: fusor forum
They've got a bunch of info on vacuum techniques, high voltage, etc on the cheap.

@Msimon: you probably have better credentials for introducing Andrew & Rob than I do. And please do put me in touch with Dr. Mike when I get up there -- I'll let you know when I do, it'll be about 2 mo. from now.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Solo wrote:@Rob: eh, sorry for getting us off topic. SO, where are we at now? ok, did we decide what would be a useful diagnostic or measurement to make on a small Polywell? (cross-check that with practicality later...)

Hey speaking of fusor.net, Rob, you should visit the place: fusor forum
They've got a bunch of info on vacuum techniques, high voltage, etc on the cheap.

@Msimon: you probably have better credentials for introducing Andrew & Rob than I do. And please do put me in touch with Dr. Mike when I get up there -- I'll let you know when I do, it'll be about 2 mo. from now.
Rob,

Contact me and I'll make the connection.

Simon
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Solo

Post by Solo »

Hey Rob,

Any news? Did you ever get in touch with Famulus or the guys at Sydney?

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

hanelyp wrote:For illumination the filament needs to be run white HOT. For electron injection I suspect you could run the filament only red hot, for a much longer life. In either case the expected filament life would greatly exceed the run time for an experiment.
I worked with ion laser tubes (Spectra-Physics) and the filaments used there are not run red hot, but rather a more yellowish white.

The problem with running a cathode filament too cool is that it causes cathode sagging, rendering the material useless after X hours of run time. Running a hotter cathode counters that problem to a certain degree.

It also depends on the orientation of your cathode filament, I guess.
Because we can.