Where do the ion and alphas go?

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ltgbrown

Where do the ion and alphas go?

Post by ltgbrown »

Let me start this post by admitting that my BS in physics is for just that, BS'ing. Let me confirm your suspicions before they even arise, I am ignorant of particle and plasma physics. Almost completely and most certainly in comparison to others that romp around this site.

Do the ions being injected enter the polywell (and therefore the magrid) through the same cusp (or face of the magrid) as the alphas (assuming a pB11 reaction [because I am a believer]) depart? If not, would one want them to / could they? If they do, then the opposite question.

My questions stem from my meager attempts to visualize how the ion guns are placed relative to the hoped for direct conversion "thingy mu bobs" (which brings up the question, what are they called? well, it is a question for me at least.)
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

KitemanSA

Re: Where do the ion and alphas go?

Post by KitemanSA »

ltgbrown wrote: Do the ions being injected enter the polywell (and therefore the magrid) through the same cusp (or face of the magrid) as the alphas (assuming a pB11 reaction [because I am a believer]) depart? If not, would one want them to / could they? If they do, then the opposite question.
Up thru WB7, the ions entered as a neutral puff of gas and were ionized inside the MaGrid. WB7+ (maybe 7.1) had a task to work on the ion injection technology, but I haven't seen ANYTHING regarding the hows and whys and what it dids.
ltgbrown wrote: My questions stem from my meager attempts to visualize how the ion guns are placed relative to the hoped for direct conversion "thingy mu bobs" (which brings up the question, what are they called? well, it is a question for me at least.)
Most folks seem to call them "Venetian Blinds".