_f

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

uh? :?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

IBID... hnh?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I've got an idea for big springs to help people jump from the Earth to the Moon. It is theoretical.

Lets make it work.

I do the thinking. You do the work.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I think you should just file your idea for patenting. It'll give your idea a first pass by someone who's job it is is to figure out what you are trying to say.

I think I can confidently say that you've not yet disclosed an inventive step, so you should still be able to file it.

You need to fix your spelling as well. There is a significant disrespect shown to those reading your words if you cannot be bothered to get the spelling right, IMHO. Spell-checking is free. I might presume you don't know how to spell words, but sometimes you spell them right, and sometimes you don't. Show the reader some respect.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Numbers? What numbers? I'm a theoretical arithmetician.

Carbon banana tubes. I read about them. They are the next really big thing. They can be used for everything. So they will make fusion work.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I'm real big on plasma.

I have a plasma TV. Which is why I understand the problems of fusion.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And another thing. Binding energy is just like a binding contract. With enough lawyers and economists you can break it. Once you break it you will have fusion.

This is not a hard concept to understand. But I think about these things. Which is why I know it will work.

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

oooh, oooh, oooh, I know! We can use a charged nanotube, with the same charge as the ions! then shoot the ions at each other DOWN THE NANOTUBE! It should work, right?!?

and the fusion products will, uh, just go out between the hexes of the nanotube, without breaking it at ALL!

And the unfused reactants will just keep travelling, because the naotube is SO COOL!

Whee, this is fun! Let's just ignore physics, it's easier that way!
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

I'm sorry but that will not work. Insufficient quantumivity.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Santoslhelpa wrote:...

The helium would be removed with a vacuum pump and any ohter effects too. I dont see a propblem wiht pollution

Polywell is not meant to heat the plasma
it is a confinement machine
it should contain only the fusion once it occurs and attract the fuel into the center wiht an electron cloud...
Helium (alpha particles from P-B11 fusion) leave the potential well that exists inside the magrid because they are traveling far to fast for the potential well to contain them. They then escape when they happen to hit a cusp in the magnetic field. The fuel ions are accelerated by the potential well and ignoring complications would be contained indefinitely as they cannot quite climb out of the potential well. Any other atoms introduced with the fuel atoms would experience the same forces and so would be contained just like the fuel. The carbon in the bucky tubes would be mixed with the vaporized/ ionized fuel, polluting it .

Don't get the idea that the Polywell is not hot. Temperature is equivalent to speed and the Polywell is just as hot (actually much hotter if you consider the average temperature) as a Tokamak. It is just that the heating mechanisms are different, and there is no ignition per say as that which is required in a Tokamak.

In a Tokamak there has to be some intervention to remove the fusion products- diverters or pulsed operation. A Polywell automatically ejects the fusion products, based on their excess speed that overwhelms the potential well confinement, and the presence of cusps that allow subsequent escape from the surrounding magnetic containment. So the Polywell has the potential to be naturally steady state machine.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

zapkitty wrote:I'm sorry but that will not work. Insufficient quantumivity.
What are you talking about?

Of course there is enough quantumivity, else what causes the Flachwichsernlung emissions?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

chrismb wrote:

Of course there is enough quantumivity, else what causes the Flachwichsernlung emissions?
It depends on whether you're referring to transverse or longitudinal quantumivity (neither of which should be confused with bulk twistorial quantumivity). Flachwichsernlung emissions can be problematic unless they are phase-locked using a retro encabulator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1K ... re=related

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

DeltaV wrote:
chrismb wrote:

It depends on whether you're referring to transverse or longitudinal quantumivity (neither of which should be confused with bulk twistorial quantumivity). Flachwichsernlung emissions can be problematic unless they are phase-locked using a retro encabulator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1K ... re=related
That was a typo on my part... I'm used to the old-school definitions of quantumivity vs quantumtivity and the way they were portrayed as the QED analogues of permissivity and permeability in GR. No wonder chris got confused, sorry! :)