2 magnet magrid? A new better simpler magrid?

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Curiousfusor

2 magnet magrid? A new better simpler magrid?

Post by Curiousfusor »

So magrids have their limitations cusps loses, magnet attachment points, and variable magnetic field strenghs at different sections etc. Upon this I've pondered the truncated dodecadedrons etc. but I see little improvment beyond possibly better confinement, and I've relised that beyond a 5 magnet design I saw on a post around here, that no one not even Bussard himself has yet thought to back engineer do to speak, that is simplify down to as few magnets as possible. So anyways my thought was why not have just to tordial magnets facing eachother, a void of the magnetic fields still forms, so this arrangment should still confine plasma. My thought is that because just 2 magnets are being used that the magnetic fields strength would be completely uniform, equally compressing the plasma, and providing no actual escape routes for electrons so to speak- that is electron loss would be uniform around the edge. So is this a hair brain idea, or something worth looking into? Thoughts would be much appreciated.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

This was tried almost the very first thing. It fails due to the very long line cusp around the circumference between the magnets.

Curiousfusor

Post by Curiousfusor »

See that long line cusps the point, electrons gyroradius around the field line through a cusp is one major method of loss, wouldnt more electrons make it through this cusp, only to be recirculated back in. Sort of like the Van Allen Belt. In other words maximazing recirculation, whilst reducing the amount of magnets needed, and somewhere along the line there should be a balancing point between the magnetism and the electorstatic Lorentz forces causing most of the electrons to center inbetween the magnets?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Give it a try. Let us know how it works out for you. Think ions thru the cusps too.

Oh, and by the way, remember too that it is the charge on the magrid, looking quasi-spherical, that causes the recirc in the Polywell. Idoubt that two magnets would look quasi-spherical.

Curiousfusor

Post by Curiousfusor »

Well I am actually in the process of getting the money up to test out some ideas regarding the polywell. The thing is the sooner the better so what's the bare minimum equipment that's need, vacuum chamber, power supply- either capacitor bank or flywheel- what kind of diagnostic equipment i've heard of interferometer/ refractometer? So yeah what's the basic equipment needed to get a magrid up and going then?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Where are you located?