Small scale experiments?

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

drmike

Post by drmike »

That kind of MaGrid plus a Tesla coil could make for some nice demonstrations of what the field and currents look like. It could get the idea across without having a vacuum chamber, and high school kids can build stuff that sparks, but isn't all that dangerous. I'll have to see what I can do with that....

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

drmike wrote:That kind of MaGrid plus a Tesla coil could make for some nice demonstrations of what the field and currents look like. It could get the idea across without having a vacuum chamber, and high school kids can build stuff that sparks, but isn't all that dangerous. I'll have to see what I can do with that....
I can't think of any Tesla coil that I have ever studied that wasn't dangerous at least on the input side.

Some of the sealed coils that are used in science might be OK. The kind that are used for exciting discharge tubes.

drmike

Post by drmike »

That's what makes it fun!

There's a physicist here in Madison who puts on a show for kids every year. It's called the "wonders of physics" http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/demobook/intro.htm. They use a 1 million volt Tesla coil and it is always spectacular.

Under controlled conditions I would think an interesting demo for the Bussard fusor might be possible. It's unfortunate, but advertising and hype gets things done a lot faster than real calculations.