>@< Polyart >@<

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Keegan

>@< Polyart >@<

Post by Keegan »

Here my objective is to give new meaning to the term

Prior Art

I have to start with fantastic rendering by Tony Rusi and Skip Baker. A concept coil arrangement that could improve reactor efficiency 3 fold. But alas, the coils are only one of the challenges at hand. A net power polywell is going to be a heterogeneous kaleidoscopic assemblage of radio frequency, electric, magnetic, structural, thermal and particle needs. We must consider the reactor as a whole.

This is Figure 2 from U.S Patent 4202725 - Converging Beam Fusion System. The patent is from 1980, the system described is flawed but the drawings are intriguing. I dont consider it to scale but i still find it highly relevant today. Funny how the core almost resembles the concept coil renderings above. Heck i wonder if that patent gave Dr Bussard any ideas ? :wink:

Art that is prior art. How Ironic.

Is this most viable picture we have yet of a Net Power Polywell ? I predict that future polywells will feature geodesic domes (built from triangles). Why ? It is the only man-made structure that becomes proportionally stronger as it increases in size. Construction costs will be cut dramatically as we will only have to cast one simple triangular module and repeat for the entire outer shell. The triangular intersections will allow easy symmetrical spacing of particle injection/removal, Radio frequency drive for POPS along cusp axis and other essential systems. The concept is many small systems can add up. The triangular construction will also provide for novel construction of a 3MV grid for Direct electric conversion of alpha particles. Upgrade/worn modules could be easily replaced. Geodesic triangular modules could easily be transported via conventional rockets which would allow for the construction of large reactors in space.

Inside the geodesic dome i see a an electron cloud which represents the outer limit of recirculating electrons.

Further inside i see the Magrid. WB6 had 6 coils, the concept drawing (top) has 12. If the number of coils can increase efficiency then a net power polywell could appear more like the grid in the drawing (but with no where as many) Pending superconductor/materials advancements i could also imagine using the coils constant magnetic field to keep the Magrid suspended in the centre of the of the machine allowing for minimum tethering/sputtering/contamination issues.

Inside of this i see a virtual cathode cloud, inside of which i see a virtual anode. Both will be pulsating from being driven with RF. The secret to the reactors success will be exciting these to follow something like a four stroke engine cycle.

Intake, Compression, Ignition, Exaust. Here in Lies the magic.

Who knows what electromagnetic symphonies will play at the heart of a Net Power Polywell.

I hope these Mandala can inspire designers of WB10's and beyond.

And finally M.C. Escher didn't get the news that grids were out, but this has been a personal favorite of mine for some time.

Purity is Power

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Wow!
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

drmike

Post by drmike »

I'll second that WOW!

Symmetry is always a nice thing. It definitely helps with the math :D

energyfan

Post by energyfan »

very impressive .....i like how two of my interests : polywells and calligraphy came together in this one

question for Keegan : can i use these for my facebook group ? I am trying to make one for polywell fusion reactors .

Solo

Post by Solo »

I've always wonder personally about what sort of psychological make-up makes people attracted to science. I think there's definitely something to Jung's idea that alchemy is related to psychology. At least for me, I think my interested in science started when I was a kid with some alchemical leanings.

It also reminds me of the whole arguement about 'elegance' and aesthetics in mathematics.

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

energyfan wrote:can i use these for my facebook group ? I am trying to make one for polywell fusion reactors .
Yeah go for it, its not like i drew them. Although you may want to check out Mandala Central

Fusion Facebook ? Hehe, I might create an account soon. I have always been wary of Social networking sites, i cant believe how much time my friends waste there.

Besides all the cool kids hang out here 8)
Purity is Power

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I'm already faced.

When you get it up let me know the addy and I'll join.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

energyfan

Post by energyfan »

MSimon wrote:I'm already faced.

When you get it up let me know the addy and I'll join.

Hi, I just put up the group but didnt add any major info, a little busy with Finals. I will update it soon though. Heres the link :

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13773475748