Video - Making MgB2 Superconductors

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Video - Making MgB2 Superconductors

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Billy Catringer

Post by Billy Catringer »

The video does not show the necessary annealing steps in the process, but they may be annealing on the fly. Both copper and nickel have the nasty habit of work hardening.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Neat video, but this is what American Superconductors calls 1st generation wire. Their 2nd generation wire basically has better properties in all areas.

Of course, AmSC make HTS, (BSCCO, YBCO) not MgB2; though the issues may be the same.

Billy Catringer

If they are using nickel and copper in the new composites, they have to do some annealing along the way during fabrication. I am surprised that they do not offer some of these with silver cores instead of copper.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MgB has "metalic" mechanical properties and has good neutron resistance. Its neutron resistance could be increased if it was made with pure B11.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:...Its neutron resistance could be increased if it was made with pure B11.
?? Shouldn't that be B10 which can absorb a neutron and remain Boron? Admittedly, I am outside my field here.

Billy Catringer

Additional note. Silver is itself a good absorber of neutrons and there are some alloys of it that hold up well in nuclear service.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote:...Its neutron resistance could be increased if it was made with pure B11.
?? Shouldn't that be B10 which can absorb a neutron and remain Boron? Admittedly, I am outside my field here.
Neutron absorption causes lattice defects. The less the better. Thus B11.