Is There an Optimal Size for Magrid Casings?

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Aero » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Aero

KitemanSA
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby KitemanSA » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:07 pm

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:45 am

Last edited by KitemanSA on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:11 am

tombo

Postby tombo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:27 am

-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:17 pm

tombo

Postby tombo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:30 pm

-Tom Boydston-

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

Billy Catringer

Postby Billy Catringer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:59 pm

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:46 pm

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:52 am

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:20 pm

tombo

Postby tombo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:53 pm

OK, Here is how we keep the zero field cusp region localized radially.
Thanks Kiteman for pushing me to look 3D.

Assuming the field goes in through the main square coils, the field goes outward at locations between the zero field point and the wall and inward at locations between it and center of polywell).
I see the zero field region as an octahedral star. Which is the X from above with tails leading toward the center and away from the center of the polywell.
It is located at the middle of the edge of the cube at the radius of the polyhedron from the polywell center.
There is no zero-field path from the inside to the outside.

It also provides a point cusp aligned with each face and each corner. (in series with the normal ones)
It is based on truncated cube.
The polyhedron is at the midline where the 2 different coils touch.
Think Bitter coils.
Pardon not showing all the coils and there are many small glitches in the model.
The coil taper angle is shown optimized for thermal.
Angle could be optimized for magnetic field or other stuff.
There are several coil shape permutations. For example, they could maintain their planform over their radial length.
Conforming to the field lines will take some serious FEA modeling.

Corner View

Face View (some coils not shown)
Edge View at “funny cusp”

Radial view showing coils lined up with center of polywell.

Compare gaps between square coils to gaps between triangular coils. They are similar.

EDIT: This will not work because the set of coils closer to the center distorts the spherical shape of the wiffleball.
Last edited by tombo on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Tom Boydston-

Billy Catringer

Postby Billy Catringer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:00 pm

That's first rate work, Tombo. Bravo! Now let's see what the physicists think.

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 am

Tombo,
Geez I wish I could do graphics like that. It sure is an interesting picture. But it was not what I meant.

The discussion we were having (you, me, and hanelyp) had to do with the FIELD produced by my X cusp and the funny cusp, and you and hanelyp had trouble seeing that they gave effectively the same field. I agreed with you provided you were looking ONLY at the field at the mid-plane of the magnets. I suggested you think about the field off plane. Well, I finally got my Excel spreadsheet to work and by plug-and-chug got the results plotted. Here they are. Here you see the two units, my X cusp on the left and the "funny cusp" setup on the right (half of the symmetric systems each). The results are plotted for a plane that is 15 units into the page understanding that the standoff from the line of symmetry to my broad curve nearpoint is 13 units. No they are not I-{clap}-DENTICLE.. (apologies to My Cousin..) but they are dang close. The presence of the rectangular "not-a-coil" plane in the middle does not adversly effect the "four fields at a vertex" requirement at all.

So you see that whatever the field nulls at the magnet's midplane are, the electrons will never get to them except in the very short slot in the center. And at that point there is NO METAL.
So we have a VERY short consrained bit of line-cusp that looks for all practical purposes like a funny cusp (or a point cusp) (its about the same size) that I call an X-cusp and will limit the electrons basically as well as a point cusp and will have NO path to the metal.
Last edited by KitemanSA on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:11 am

Return to “Design”