Fusion for Dummies

Discuss ways to make polywell research more widely known or better understood. Includes education and outreach.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

joedead

Fusion for Dummies

Post by joedead »

I was hoping someone here could answer a question for me (which in turn would allow me to explain this to someone else.)

What exactly is the major benefit of using Boron (PB-11) as a fuel?

Or, to phrase it the way my friend asked,
"Doesn't it run on hydrogen?"

Could a BFR use both?

Please forgive my ignorance in advance.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Read the following FAQ. It is basic, but valuable.

http://www.ohiovr.com/polywell-faq/inde ... l_ideal%3F

joedead

Post by joedead »

Didn't see that.

:oops:

Danke.

Not answered on the wiki: Which would be a better fuel for long-term space flight, a D-T or PB-11 reaction? (lol)

Seriously, anyone got thoughts on this?

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

PB11. The weight of the boron is rather inconsequential, and the neutron flux is much smaller, meaning much less shielding, which is consequential weight. Of other interest are the He3 reactions, which would allow easier scavenging of fuel. Not sure how much boron is out there, but we know that there's a fair amount of He3. D+T could be scavenged, but again, we also need to look at the neutrons.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Aside from the neutron issue, P-B11 fuel has the advantage that practically all of the fusion energy produced is carried by charged particles, which allows for direct energy conversion at high efficiencies (~80%). D-T and D-D reactions also produce charged particles, but onlly ~ 50% of the energy is in this form. The rest is in neutrons. Also, the charged particles from these reactions have a wider range of kinetic energy- increasing the difficulty of direct conversion. The energy in the neutrons not only cause more radiation concerns for the crew, they damage structures, and produce more waste heat (per unit of usefull power obtained). Waste heat is a major concern for a spacecraft. At least some of the heat energy deposited from the neutrons can be recovered through thermocouples, or a heat engine (steam or sterling type engine), but these are far less efficient (more waste heat) than direct conversion.
As a hypothetical comparison. A P-B11 reactor might produce 1.2 GW raw power, and deliver 1 GW usefull power. A D-D reactor would need to produce ~ 2 GW of raw power to deliver the same amount of usefull power. That means the P-B11 reactor can be half the relative size (help to offset the increased difficulty of fusing P-B11) and ~800MW less waste heat would need to be handled. In some regards the D-H3 reaction would be superior to P-B11 (more energy per reaction, easier to fuse, perhaps easier direct conversion, neutron load is much worse than P-B11 but much better than D-D or D-T) except that the difficulty and cost of obtaining He3 is daunting.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

joedead

Post by joedead »

Thank you, Dan and Kunk.

:D

Brian H

Post by Brian H »

Actually, H3 is easy to get. Start with 10 tons of moon dust, ... 8)
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Yeah. Copper is easy to get too. Start with ten tons of ore... :twisted:
Evil is evil, no matter how small