Logo competition!

Discuss ways to make polywell research more widely known or better understood. Includes education and outreach.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Zixinus

Logo competition!

Post by Zixinus »

I hereby request a competition for icons, logos and various other things that are related.

Prize would be a special status in the forum ("artist" instead of "member").

Rules: must be self-made, simple and you must agree that all my use it to their wish.

My entry:

Not my best, and I admit that it was done it paint. I have to figure out how to make perfectly identical triangles in that darn thing.

The idea is to have two balls, two atoms, to show collision and connection. That is archived by the two triangles that connect them closer, so their tip pierces the other. Now, I must give the impression of a system. That is archived by the triangles woven around the two balls, in a diamond shape. To represent the power released, I've added more triangles at the ends, giving the impression of a star.

I'm all triangles. This looked better in my doodles. If I had the skill, I'd add two hands carefully holding the thing. And some colour.

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Re: Logo competition!

Post by JoeStrout »

That's a reasonable idea. I was working on a logo just this morning, using POV-Ray to ray-trace some rings, and then my plan is to paste in a sort of starburst thing I have from another source.

It's not ready yet, but when it is, I'll post it here.
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Re: Logo competition!

Post by JoeStrout »

OK, how's this:

Joe Strout

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

Not bad, although I think the cube may be misleading. Won't it be a dodecahedron be the final reactor form?

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

Zixinus wrote:Not bad, although I think the cube may be misleading. Won't it be a dodecahedron be the final reactor form?
Not necessarily; I've heard rumors that they're going to try a dodecahedron to see if it performs enough better than the truncated cube to be worth the extra complexity, but this is by no means a sure thing.

And note that this (the WB6 configuration) is actually a truncated cube, though it doesn't look like it at first. Took me a bit of head-scratching a few months ago to grasp this. But: take each of the toroidal magnets, and mentally straighten the sides so that it is a diamond (i.e. a square rotated 45 degrees). Join the points together. Presto! Six square faces, eight triangular faces, a truncated cube. But they've found that the exact shape of the faces doesn't matter that much, and circular coils perform better for other reasons (mainly the reduction of arcing as I understand it — we're dealing with very high voltages here).
Joe Strout

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

Are there no other entries people?