A force greater than fusion

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

dogsled

A force greater than fusion

Post by dogsled »

Greed - More specifically, intelligent self interest. I am not qualified to judge the accuracy of the physics, but I believe in it, and am willing to put serious money in a corporation trying to build a practical device. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a way to invest.
I know I can contribute, but I have a lot more faith in people that are going to be very, very rich if they suceed than in charity driven organizations.
Maybe EMC2 should spin off a for-profit subsidiary. Venture capitalists and true believers would come up with the $200M in a week.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

dogsled,

In my estimation your chief hurdle to overcome is access to Dr. B's patents.

The way to do that is to get involved in the research and support of the government/Santa Fe program. This requires a lot of faith and the willingness to cast your bread upon the waters.

Not something venture capitalists are noted for.

What could be done is to endow a chair in plasma physics devoted to building a continuous operation test reactor.

If the idea interests you - contact me. I have given it some thought.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

<sarcasm>
Stupidity?
</sarcasm>

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:<sarcasm>
Stupidity?
</sarcasm>
Your meaning is not clear.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

MSimon wrote:
Stupidity?
</sarcasm>
Referring to the thread subject...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Stupidity?
</sarcasm>
Referring to the thread subject...
Yeah!

TallDave

Re: A force greater than fusion

Post by TallDave »

dogsled wrote:Greed - More specifically, intelligent self interest. I am not qualified to judge the accuracy of the physics, but I believe in it, and am willing to put serious money in a corporation trying to build a practical device. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a way to invest.
I know I can contribute, but I have a lot more faith in people that are going to be very, very rich if they suceed than in charity driven organizations.
Maybe EMC2 should spin off a for-profit subsidiary. Venture capitalists and true believers would come up with the $200M in a week.
This tech will probably not provide profits within ten years, and anything that far out is generally considered a waste of time by VC guys.

Now, if the Navy funds that $100M test reactor, and they get it working by, say, 2015, then Katy bar the doors. They'll throw hundreds of billions into fusion tech if it looks proven and cost-effective.

That last bit is something people need to keep in mind. A working fusion reactor would be a great scientific success, but if coal is twice as cheap as Polywell power then that's all it is: a neat science project.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Some folks have a different idea on how to make alternative energy cost effective:

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... -buck.html

Make regular energy sources illegal.

If you can make guys with guns (government) part of your business model it can improve the returns dramatically.

"You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone