Why did they invest in...

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
polywellfan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Why did they invest in...

Postby polywellfan » Tue May 15, 2012 12:16 am

bennmann

Postby bennmann » Tue May 15, 2012 4:11 am

The biggest reasons polywell is currently ONLY funded through an ONR grant (basically):

1) Park has a deep seated desire to have as professional and reviewable results as possible (according to a source on this forum that I don't have the link for right this second). This limits him to smaller steps that others in academia can and are willing to follow. We WANT the tokamak community to come to the light, as many of them as possible.

2) The US Navy has a very very large interest in being the first and best fusion power generator in the world, the contracts hiding behind the contracts we see are of a much different kind. Think NDAs.

which leads to

3) Park and Nebel are really the most qualified right now and don't have the time or the ability (NDAs) to train anyone else up to their level. This point is debatable and pure conjecture.

Funding is hard to come by for polywell for those reasons. I wish Mark Suppes had more funding though - another kickstarter would probably do wonders but to what end? Even he would probably say he doesn't have the skill to make a WB-D for an indefinite amount of time.

This is mostly speculation based on just being here a little while.

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Tue May 15, 2012 11:32 am

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Tue May 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Didn't Dr B turn down a pile o bucks due to the strings attached? That's the rumor I recall.

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed May 16, 2012 7:57 pm

I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Thu May 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Brian H

Commercialization

Postby Brian H » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:08 am

Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

mattman

Just to Add...

Postby mattman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:29 pm

CharlesKramer

Re: Just to Add...

Postby CharlesKramer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:56 pm

================================
CBK
Blog: http://www.provideocoalition.com/ckramer

asdfuogh

Re: Why did they invest in...

Postby asdfuogh » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 am

I think something that can't be forgotten is that there is also a use for FRCs outside of fusion. It's also used to study magnetic reconnection, plasma propulsion, etc. To get similar investors, I think we have to provide possible secondary functions of Polywell that would be in high demand, especially if there isn't enough "look, we have a shit ton of data from a bunch of universities and governments" (which Tri-Alpha does have, since FRCs have been and are currently studied by various universities and national labs).

mattman

Re: Why did they invest in...

Postby mattman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:18 pm

I spent several months looking at this. The comparison to the Manhattan Project is not a fair one. The invention of flying is a better analogy. Flying was invented by two guys with no college degrees. It's not just an innovation, it's doing something people think is impossible... For that the history of invention favors small teams on the fringe... Not large burecratic efforts. You can read about this in my post inventing the impossible.

Return to “Fund-Raising”