Professional Fund-Raiser?

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JohnP

Professional Fund-Raiser?

Post by JohnP »

My wife had an interesting suggestion: pool volunteer funds and hire a professional fund-raiser, at least for a limited time. Pay them for their time on a consulting basis. Get their ideas, advice, and contacts... this could bootstrap the fundraising process much faster.

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

A very sensible idea in my view.

I'd hazard a guess such a person would cost in the region of at least $4k a week to hire, thoughts ?

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

Most likely, unless he or she believes in the thing. If we can get such a person as a volunteer, that would help immensely.

MisterX

Post by MisterX »

I don't think it's a very good idea to hire a fund raiser. The money we would spend on a professional fund-raiser would be much better spent on a small polywell with WB-6 like design.

My aunt works on fundraising for charities, and she might give some advise for free. In particular she works with raising money through the mail. Our cause is somewhat unusal for a charity, and I'm not sure if typical fundrasing methods are applicable. I may talk to her about it though.

I feel comforable giving a fusion power/polywell speach in front of many people and asking for money to continue the research.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

The money we would spend on a professional fund-raiser would be much better spent on a small polywell with WB-6 like design.

The idea is not to spend 100's of thousands on a full time permanent fundraising staff, but instead to pay them thousands for their ideas and contacts that would be of value, as opposed to spending years in limbo poking around in the dark.

It would be to bootstrap the fundraising process, not to run the whole thing.