Singinst.org, Foresight

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

EmilG

Singinst.org, Foresight

Post by EmilG »

The Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence (singinst.org) is an example of a non-profit organization that has done an impeccable job of fundraising for a project that's arguably a lot less mainstream than fusion power.

Note the way their page includes a blog with regular updates from the "team", a progress bar, and a donation form integrated into their own website. (The extremely professional-looking page was created by Hell Design.)

I know most of the people at the Singularity Institute, and have also met Christine Peterson of the Foresight Institute. I'm sure they would be willing to provide specific advice on fundraising and awareness for the Polywell.

- Emil (emil@emilgilliam.com)

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

Not a bad model for EMC2.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I've been a Foresight member for 20 years. They must have thousands of members world wide and a pretty solid leadership. Haven't been following them much lately but they should know the ropes as far as fundraising.

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

I notice briefly looking at their site that they do competitions with prizes, on the fusor.net forum they have a prize there too.

That could be a way to encourage development in my view.

I'd be interested to know just what Foresight has achieved in a practical way in 20 odd years.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

afaik, none of the Feynman Prize Grand Challenges have been won or even attempted. I think the state of the art isn't up to it.

A big problem is that the majority of scientists don't think the kind of nanotech Foresight proposes (mechanosynthesis, productive nanosystems) is possible. Some do and are pursuing it. The NNI (National Nanotech Initiative) does not take the long view on nanosystems, instead they pursue nanoparticles & clusters for coatings, powders. Also self-assembled layered stuff is OK. But things like CPU's, bearings, and the like, forget it.

But Foresight does award annual prizes for outstanding student, research paper, etc.

And they've done a lot to educate the public on nanotech concepts over the years.

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

The NNI (National Nanotech Initiative) does not take the long view on nanosystems, instead they pursue nanoparticles & clusters for coatings, powders. Also self-assembled layered stuff is OK. But things like CPU's, bearings, and the like, forget it.
Remember the KISS princible.

It might be better to start off with simple stuff to assure the business world that nanotech is good and not mad. Once that happens, more advanced stuff can be pursued with greater funding and interest.