Cutting Costs?

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

Give me a few years to build the houses and I'll see what I can do to make it happen.

Its encouraging to see that there are at least people out there willing to put their time into these things, and gives us all hope for the future.

If I might suggest also joining my housing project website at http://www.ndtra.org (I'm sure here at least someone might notice why I choose that name, due to the connection between Nanos and DTRA.. it came about after I had a humourious moment with http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/co ... 2005/509/1 in an effort to push people into thinking and checking what people say, as it is easy to check my website and see that I look nothing like the other Nanos!) as any input on design would be most welcomed. I recently put up the forum after some interest from others, even though I have been working on the plan for some years to build my own home, it only recently mushroomed into the idea of building more than one, on the basis that many hands make light work, and that I could end up helping others by supplying below market price rented properties because I wouldn't be out to make a profit.

As one of my main aims is to build a geothermal plant to provide the backbone/base load of electric generation, and to also try and establish a high skill level community, having research labs working on such things as fusion is appealing, and if no one else is really doing it, then I would want to add it to the group effort and fund it as best I can.

Hense why I also recently joined fusor.net so I can at least try it myself within my current limited budget and begin the slow journey along the yellow brick road to the end of the rainbow.

rexxam62

Wikify Fusion

Post by rexxam62 »

MSimon

That is great. This is exactly what I am talking about. Wikify Fusion. If we manage to get 50 people like yourself and Indrek then we could get something going. I could also donate some off my time. And as i said before. If this was done as a subsidiary to a corporation some of the compensation could consist of stock options so the people who work at this would be richly rewarded if this fires off in the future. But just waiting around for some rich guy to come fund you is a bad strategy. Most often they want to see that some progress is already made before they take the ball from there...

//Rexxam62

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Zixinus wrote:As for workers working only for food and room, get that idea out right NOW.

We are talking about engineers and physicist with PhDs and the like, not to mention potential illegality of this idea.
Illegality??

People can work for whatever they agree to. And stock options
have tangible value. Plenty of dotcom startups got their initial
talent on the promise of nothing more than options.
Zixinus wrote:Not everyone involved of course will be a highly-qualified person, but these people will have a high enough qualification that scraps of food and a closet with a bed is not an option. Besides, there surely could be volunteers for the manual labour and the like.

And collage students. Don't forget collage students. They have some expertise and knowledge, plus they have higher tolerance regarding pay, plus motivation (getting jobs will be easier for anyone that has it in his resume that he worked in EMC2, the company that developed practical fusion power).
Do we absolutely _need_ the PhDs? At least for the WB-7x phase?
It seems that highly skilled Grad students a few semesters shy of
the doctorates might be just as useful, more enthusiastic, and have
fewer long term financial and professional obligations. By the time
we move upto the 100MW demonstrator, the Grad Students will have
their PhDs and funding will be available for generous pay.
Vae Victis