Other methods to raise money

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jboily

Post by Jboily »

scareduck wrote:
Zixinus wrote:200 mil of pure R&D is not exactly something you can find easily. Private corporations are interested in making money, not R&D.
If you had $200M you could spare right now would you fund it? If it were the sum of your assets? If it were half?
Sure I would. But this would be in tranches, not all at once. At the current stage, few investors would give $200M in a unproven venture, no mater how smart the development and management team are. Now, smart money would come in at a lower level, but would require a lot of the shares % in return.

It would be best for EMC2, and everyone else, to have the NAVY funding it. If they decide not to, it would still be possible, but a lot more difficult to find some investors. A second, and more elaborate test would need to be done to demonstrate that the theory is correct (this would be funded as a first tranche by angels investors). Then a second tranche would be the development of a test commercial reactor, and then an other tranche would be to build it. And so on.

The value of the shares increases at the end of each successful tranches, and there is some more money required for the next, and opportunity for the first investors to sell their shares, or stay in for the next phase.

Eventually, the decision could be to go public for the rest of the money requirement. I would see this phase to fund the commercial reactor, not before.

What do you think would be the total engineering cost for the commercial reactor?

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Jboily wrote:It would be best for EMC2, and everyone else, to have the NAVY funding it.
I don't see how, and neither did Bussard (who recommended a prize model for fusion). In fact, I seem to recall that Dr. Nebel was eager to get away from the public purse as soon as possible; Bussard mentioned that something like 30-40% of the money they got ended up spent on overhead.
What do you think would be the total engineering cost for the commercial reactor?
I'm not really in a position to say.

Jboily

Post by Jboily »

I don't see how, and neither did Bussard (who recommended a prize model for fusion). In fact, I seem to recall that Dr. Nebel was eager to get away from the public purse as soon as possible; Bussard mentioned that something like 30-40% of the money they got ended up spent on overhead.
It would be difficult to get investment, unless more R&D is done. There are currently to many uncertainties. The Navy can afford this level of risks.

What Dr. Bussard wanted is the full $100M commitment from the investors, but keep full whonership of the IP (basically to keep the IP in the public domain for the public good). I do not believe this is possible to find this in the private side.

It remember me of Dr. Gerard O'Neil that has invented and developed the GPS system. He could not find the needed money to develop the system because he try to do the same.