Other methods to raise money

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

gblaze42

Other methods to raise money

Post by gblaze42 »

It may be possible that EMC2 could partner with Amazon.com or another web company for a short time to get donations, possibly use a percentage of sales to be given to EMC2, As in 2% of each sale to be given to EMC2.

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

Simple question: why would Amazon.com do that? At all?

rexxam62

Wikify Fusion

Post by rexxam62 »

Zixinus

What is your magical idea to raise money then?

//Rexxam62

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

Zixinus wrote:Simple question: why would Amazon.com do that? At all?
Promote a better tomorrow? Provide means for alternative energy research? Reduce carbon emissions? and reduce reliance on imported fuels?

As my catch phrase for what polywell really is about;

"Hope for a new generation"

Isochroma

Post by Isochroma »

Grow Ops - big ones! Giant underground complexes powered by Polywells, with thousands of Metal Halides and High Pressure Sodium bulbs shining away above a sea of green plants :) Do you guys have any idea how much socially-responsible cash can be generated by the good herb?

With no giveaway power bills or IR thermal signatures, it would be impossible to detect. All powered by stealthily purchased Borax from the local grocery/hardware store...

drmike

Post by drmike »

That'd be a great way to fund the rockets needed to get to mars, then you could grow without worries!
:D

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Here is something else that might be useful:

http://www.classicalvalues.com/archives ... t_439.html

If it weren't for the tobacco Nazis. Wait the Nazis were anti-tobacco.

I've broken Goodwin's law twice.

==

I mis-spelled Goodwin. Thanks Dr. Mike. Fixed.
Last edited by MSimon on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

drmike

Post by drmike »

Thanks - I had to look up Goodwin's law!

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

What is your magical idea to raise money then?
Government funding or funding by a corporation that has every reason to research this?

200 mil of pure R&D is not exactly something you can find easily. Private corporations are interested in making money, not R&D.
Promote a better tomorrow? Provide means for alternative energy research? Reduce carbon emissions? and reduce reliance on imported fuels?
That's very cute, but I mean an actual reason.
"We should be open minded, but not so open minded that our brain falls out."
- Richard Dawkins

drmike

Post by drmike »

Here's the main trick - if it works, 200 million dollars would have a payoff of 10 to 20 trillion over a 10 year period. If it works.

"If the word if weren't there, my father would be a millionare" is a rhyme my dad told me was a famous when he was little. It's a really big payoff, it's just that it's exceptionally high risk.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

I'm waiting on WB-7 results. Uncertainty tends to repel investment. WB-7, one way or another, should greatly reduce uncertainty regarding the polywell.

drmike

Post by drmike »

I sure hope so. Even if it doesn't work for fusion, the MaGrid concept is a great way to study electrons.

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

Here's the main trick - if it works, 200 million dollars would have a payoff of 10 to 20 trillion over a 10 year period. If it works.
The thing is, that you won't get 200 million for big ifs. Fusion relies on plasma physics, a field notorious for its stories regarding ideas that are supposed to work on paper but failed in experiment.

Investors often scare eachother with stories like "I've spent over 50 grand for this and the next day I handed over the money, the researchers disappeared, leaving the equipment behind. I've asked an engineer to look over them and he told me that the whole thing was a setup for parlor tricks".
"We should be open minded, but not so open minded that our brain falls out."
- Richard Dawkins

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

After studying the field intensively for a year and a half, I have come to the conclusion that not even plasma physicists understand plasma physics.

That spells both opportunity and heartache.

For instance I have had a plasma physicist tell me that well formation was a figment. Ha.

In a way it is much like electronics. The rules are not too hard but the combinations and second and third order effects can kill you.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

For instance I have had a plasma physicist tell me that well formation was a figment. Ha.
Heh.

In 1908 the consensus was our Galaxy comprised the entire universe. And they thought they had nearly nailed down all the laws of physics.