I don’t know how

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

I don’t know how

Post by MSimon »

President Barack Obama’s credibility may have taken a big hit with voters, but he’s also in serious danger of permanently losing the trust of Democrats in Congress. The Obamacare debacle has been bad enough that it’s tough for Democrats to take on faith that the president can fix the problems. His one-time allies are no longer sure that it’s wise to follow him into battle, leaving Obama and his law not only vulnerable to existing critics, but open to new attacks from his own party.

I don’t know how he f—-ed this up so badly,” said one House Democrat who has been very supportive of Obama in the past.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/t ... 99897.html
Sauve qui peut time? Not quite yet. But we are getting close. This is delicious to watch.
Even some Democrats who have been big supporters of the Affordable Care Act told McDonough that Obama’s plan for an administration fix to address health plan cancellations isn’t enough for them. They need a bill to get behind. Translation: In addition to skepticism about the policy, it’s not good politics for them to just fall in line behind Obama on the fix.
I sense what could possibly be a lack of trust in the promises of the President. How in the heck did that happen?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

hanelyp

Re: I don’t know how

Post by hanelyp »

Oh what a tangled web we weave...
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

MSimon wrote:
President Barack Obama’s credibility may have taken a big hit with voters, but he’s also in serious danger of permanently losing the trust of Democrats in Congress. The Obamacare debacle has been bad enough that it’s tough for Democrats to take on faith that the president can fix the problems. His one-time allies are no longer sure that it’s wise to follow him into battle, leaving Obama and his law not only vulnerable to existing critics, but open to new attacks from his own party.

I don’t know how he f—-ed this up so badly,” said one House Democrat who has been very supportive of Obama in the past.

Sauve qui peut time? Not quite yet. But we are getting close. This is delicious to watch.
Even some Democrats who have been big supporters of the Affordable Care Act told McDonough that Obama’s plan for an administration fix to address health plan cancellations isn’t enough for them. They need a bill to get behind. Translation: In addition to skepticism about the policy, it’s not good politics for them to just fall in line behind Obama on the fix.
I sense what could possibly be a lack of trust in the promises of the President. How in the heck did that happen?
Obama's whole political life has been one promise after another - each one getting enough believers to propel him to the next level. He never had to fulfill his promises - just get enough people believing.

That works as long as you keep moving. Nobody's going to expect you to keep promises after you move up, so to speak. And if you keep ahead of your failures, nobody will notice your track record's not so hot.

But now? He's stuck. He's at the top of the heap. He can't go anywhere - there's nowhere to go. He's in the ultimate hot-seat - and everything's starting to hit. He's got a lot of promises hanging out there and a lot of expectations for performance that he simply doesn't know how to fulfill - and his apparent practice of just hiring yes-men he can feel smarter than to run things hasn't left him with anything resembling competency in his circle.

The next three years are going to be bruising to his ego - and brutal to the rest of us. Obamacare, if repealed soon enough, might end up being a relatively small black mark on his record compared to his foreign and domestic policy failures.

The historians are going to have a flippin' field day analyzing our times years from now.

Just like in McKay's book - Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds - people got this impression of him being extraordinarily capable and competent - with no evidence at all that he was either.
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

JLawson wrote:
MSimon wrote:

Obama's whole political life has been one promise after another - each one getting enough believers to propel him to the next level. He never had to fulfill his promises - just get enough people believing.

That works as long as you keep moving. Nobody's going to expect you to keep promises after you move up, so to speak. And if you keep ahead of your failures, nobody will notice your track record's not so hot.

But now? He's stuck. He's at the top of the heap. He can't go anywhere - there's nowhere to go. He's in the ultimate hot-seat - and everything's starting to hit. He's got a lot of promises hanging out there and a lot of expectations for performance that he simply doesn't know how to fulfill - and his apparent practice of just hiring yes-men he can feel smarter than to run things hasn't left him with anything resembling competency in his circle.

The next three years are going to be bruising to his ego - and brutal to the rest of us. Obamacare, if repealed soon enough, might end up being a relatively small black mark on his record compared to his foreign and domestic policy failures.

The historians are going to have a flippin' field day analyzing our times years from now.

Just like in McKay's book - Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds - people got this impression of him being extraordinarily capable and competent - with no evidence at all that he was either.
Excellent! And true. His Senate tenure (President "Present") is especially telling.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:

Hubris, meet Nemesis.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —