Latest drug addict loons.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Re: Latest drug addict loons.

Post by GIThruster »

I doubt this study will make any difference. People who argue for cannabis legalization don't care how many people need to die for them to get what they want. People are not affected by the facts on this issue. It is really just presuppositions and irrational desires.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Wow sensational numbers.
100% increase. Holy Mary Jane!

39 to 78.

How many of these are solely due to marijuana and not alcohol? is that even known?

what does test positive for marijuana mean? you can test positive for days after exposure or usage because some of the metabolites hang around for days in the system.

I know you folks really really really dislike marijuana but at least can't you get some solid evidence like:
these 78 deaths are solely due to marijuana and that all of them used pot 60 minutes prior to driving and not up to 1 week before actually driving.

Without that kind of scientific proof, relying on statistics makes you look silly.

Maybe as better diagnostic equipment becomes available, you will get your wish...
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

williatw

Post by williatw »

We went over this months ago....the number of fatal automobile accidents in Colorado where drivers tested positive for pot (though detectable levels of lingering THC in the blood isn't the same as intoxicated) did indeed increase but the absolute number of fatal accidents in Colorado dropped during the same period if I recall. Sorry but I am more concerned with the later (decline in fatal accidents) than whether the remainder show an increase in pot use.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:We went over this months ago....the number of fatal automobile accidents in Colorado where drivers tested positive for pot (though detectable levels of lingering THC in the blood isn't the same as intoxicated) did indeed increase but the absolute number of fatal accidents in Colorado dropped during the same period if I recall. Sorry but I am more concerned with the later (decline in fatal accidents) than whether the remainder show an increase in pot use.

I'm not concerned with either. My only purpose in posting that article is to annoy people who previously wanted to project results from too short a data gathering period.

I think it is too soon to draw any conclusions from the legalization of pot in Colorado. We need to give it a few years, perhaps even a decade before we can get a good understanding of any problems associated with legalization.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Instead of just throwing links out there, how about you summarize preferably with some actually data that demonstrates that maryjane is killing people?

This is just another opinion piece without hard data. The 1 minute video is just a talking head making claims without evidence. Where is the data?
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Oh stop whining. He doesn't need data. He's using a rational argument and they are not contingent upon data. Neither is the form of a triangle, or the notion of what is a corkscrew.

Deal with it.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Got into a discussion about Marijuana with a pot head on another website. He made a point to bring up "Reefer Madness" and mock how ridiculous it was. I remembered how so many psychotic wack jobs smoked weed, so I opined that perhaps "reefer madness" wasn't so very far off the mark after all.

One thing led to another and so I found a whole bunch more psychotic wack jobs who make "reefer madness" claims seem realistic.

Friend: Boston Marathon bombing suspect 'a normal pot head'

“It didn’t seem like he was afraid of anything,” said Barry, who noted that he has been “shaking” since the news broke. “He would smoke cigarettes, smoke weed, everyday. It didn’t seem like he cared about anything. He seemed like a nice, relaxed kid.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/d ... z2QwZOAf3B
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Well let's just point out that Ted Bundy was a pretty big weed toker.

T.B. I've never tried cocaine. I think I might have tried it once and got nothing out of it. Just snorted a little bit. And I just don't mess with it. It's too expensive. And I suppose if I was on the streets and had enough of it, I might get into it.

But I'm strictly a marijuana man. All I do is... I love to smoke reefer. And I haven't, uh, never have tried anything but reefer. And valiums. And of course, alcohol.
From "Ted Bundy, conversations with a killer."
— Lord Melbourne —

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

@Diogenes

"Boston Marathon bombing suspect 'a normal pot head"

And since virtually no potheads in history have done such as he and his brother have, it's an obviously self-refuting claim...

...But good enough for someone who wants to lie to them selves that they are searching for truth.

Of course, you are lying, Diogenes.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

TDPerk wrote:@Diogenes

"Boston Marathon bombing suspect 'a normal pot head"

And since virtually no potheads in history have done such as he and his brother have, it's an obviously self-refuting claim...

...But good enough for someone who wants to lie to them selves that they are searching for truth.

Of course, you are lying, Diogenes.

Not lying at all. Never made the claim that you seem to think I am making. Am simply tired of the claim that everything that ever went wrong in the world is the fault of "Prohibition."

Tired of hearing that getting rid of it is the only solution to all our problems. Tired of hearing that people who believe we need to interdict drugs hate the poor, are racists who have racist reasons for opposing legalized drugs, who are stupid and don't understand economics, who are empowering large fascistic governance, who are needlessly getting people killed, and sadistically torturing people in pain, are tantamount to Communists and Nazis, who hate children and a host of other explanations as to how we are bad, all because we think that narcotics are not toys and should be regulated and controlled, and that it is one of the proper functions of government.

Figured I'd play the same stupid insinuation game just to show the other foot how it feels. (Made this point at the very beginning of this thread.) But no, I don't believe there is any correlation between serial killing and drug usage. More like, the psychos are just self medicating with whatever drugs they can find, but they are eventually going to pop, drugs or not.

That so many of them are pot-heads is just a source of amusement to me, but I have no delusions that pot smoking is the cause of their behavior. I just figure the insinuation that it is is as irritating as the stuff I have to read about my position. :)

I'm a firm believer in the value of negative feedback.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Killed the double post.
Last edited by Diogenes on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
— Lord Melbourne —

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Diogenes wrote:. . .the psychos are just self medicating with whatever drugs they can find, but they are eventually going to pop, drugs or not.
We don't really know this. It is entirely possible the vast majority of these folks would have lived odd but harmless lives without access to drugs. Drugs make people make bad decisions. Alcohol lowers inhibition, which leads to bad decisions, but Cannabis separates people from reality in more profound ways and the kinds of thinking errors people make on Cannabis or LSD are a whole order of magnitude worse. It turns out the "reefer madness" scare was dead on. You cannot get Cannabis induced psychosis unless you use Cannabis.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Maybe it the other sh!t they put in the pot, remember paraquat (this is not an endorsement of usage.)
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It's important to note the specific action of any given drug. Not all psychotropic effects are the same. Hallucinogens typically separate folks from reality. The term "schizophrenia" means "split away from reality", and this is a psychotic function specific to hallucinations and delusions. Hallucinations separate us from what we observe or the facts, and delusions separate us from rational or reasonable thought about the world--these are unreasonable beliefs. Hallucinogens cause both these things to happen to the user, but especially the hallucinations. They do indeed separate us from reality and this is what Cannabis induced psychosis is. So to take that function intrinsic to what Cannabis is and does and attribute it to some other drug action from an herbicide, doesn't make much sense to me. The evil is in the dope. The dope makes people dopes because it is what it is. All psychedelic drugs that alter cognition and perception have this separating from reality function. Alcohol is nothing like these drugs. Mescaline and Psyilocybin as well. These things will fwck you up far worse than even opium.