Where should this be posted, if at all?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Where should this be posted, if at all?

Post by Aero »

Maybe this has been posted before, but if so, it was a long time ago and its an interesting presentation.
http://www.longwood.edu/assets/chemphys ... _Compr.pdf
Aero

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

This presentation implies WB-8 is a dodecahedron. Is it the general view here that that is what was built for the Navy contract?

Assuming same 30 cm coil size as WB-7 and improved geometry, what would be the expected power be as compared to WB-7? My wag is assuming approximately doubling of the diameter and an improved geometry factor of 3, that WB-8 will yield 200 watts.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Dr. Bussard did concieve WB-8 as a dodecahedron. The slide show is based on data (mostly or all) from the pre Dr. Nebel era. I haven't seen any indication lately that the current WB-8 configuration is anything other than a truncube configuration. But then, I haven't seen any indication of the current WB-8 configuration at all.
Aero

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

This presentation was written, I believe by Tom Ligon, before the Navy re-funded the work. This was back when Dr. Bussard wanted to rebuild WB6 (as WB6) and build two more small scale units before jumping to the 100MW unit. WB7 was to be a "square plan-form" 6 magnet unit like WB6 while WB8 was to have been a higher order polyhedron (probably an icosidodecahedron). Unfortunately, the artwork shows the coils as decagons rather than the pentagons they should have been. The decagons make for fairly long line-like cusps that Dr. B, didn't want.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Having started to re-read this presentation, I believe that there is an inaccuracy in the slide titled "The Next Steps ..". The author suggests that WB7 would be a robustified WB6, but Dr.B's Valencia paper describes the robust WB6 as such. He then goes on to link WB7 with the "square plan-form" unit.
Last edited by KitemanSA on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Navy contract states circular coils for WB-8. Perhaps another FOI request would flush out what has been built.

What would be the minimum specs for demonstrating PB-11 fusion wrt polyhedral size, B field and MG voltage? Any ideas?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

There are pictures of WB7. It is a circular coil unit and is the robust WB6. The naming convention didn't survive Dr. B.