Calling All Fiscal Conservatives

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

rjaypeters wrote:
GIThruster wrote:rJay, actually I think that's in error.
Currently, Medicaid (and Medicare) are available, but IIRC these are Great Society programs, which under the premise of this thread are gone.

I don't think the fiscal conservatives are necessarily barbarians, but I find it instructive to imagine, think about and discuss one-step-beyond-seemingly-rational alternatives. These discussions irritates some, but I find them worthwhile. One hallmark of good leadership is to be thinking about the next step before the moment of decision is thrust upon us.

I think the USA is getting close to shut down of large sections of the federal government. Let's write about what that change might look like and likely effects.
Diogenes wrote:Why Libertarians insist everyone else should have to pay for other people's irresponsible decisions is beyond me.
This is an interesting idea. I believe you are saying Libertarians think "Only I must not pay for other people's irresponsibility." It would be useful for Libertarians to answer on another thread.

Please, if you want to write about involuntary sterilization as another government program, go to the other thread I just created for you.

How about in lieu of? Apart from that, you chose a strawman phrasing, and i'll not grant your prejudicial premise by lending your ventriloquist dummy my voice.

How about I create a thread for you? "Heartless bastard hates desperate poor" ? Surely you would have no objection to this?

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Diogenes wrote:
rjaypeters wrote:Please, if you want to write about involuntary sterilization as another government program, go to the other thread I just created for you.

How about in lieu of? Apart from that, you chose a strawman phrasing, and i'll not grant your prejudicial premise by lending your ventriloquist dummy my voice.

How about I create a thread for you? "Heartless bastard hates desperate poor" ? Surely you would have no objection to this?
I'm sure how "in lieu of" fits in what I wrote. Rephrase exactly, please.

Prejudicial premise? I suppose you mean about the "government program". Consider: who will select the subjects for involuntary sterilization? Who will drag the subjects to surgery? Do propose these as roles for volunteers? Someone else?

I have no objection at all to being called a heartless bastard by someone who is completely ignorant of who I am, how I live and what I stand for. I find it stimulating.

"It's not what people call you that matters, it's what you answer to."
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

rjaypeters wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
rjaypeters wrote:Please, if you want to write about involuntary sterilization as another government program, go to the other thread I just created for you.

I'm sure how "in lieu of" fits in what I wrote. Rephrase exactly, please.

Prejudicial premise? I suppose you mean about the "government program". Consider: who will select the subjects for involuntary sterilization?

They will select themselves. Just as prison inmates (in most cases) select themselves by their actions.

I know a little bit about this. I've spoken with a lot of women who let the state pay for their labor and delivery costs. Several of them have told me the state offered to give them a tubal ligation right after delivery while they were still in the hospital. What better time?

As for the males, believe it or not, the police will grab someone with an outstanding warrant. Offer them the choice of paying the bill, prison, or a vasectomy, and i'll warrant most of them will take the vasectomy. A lot of them will consider it to be a favor.

rjaypeters wrote: Who will drag the subjects to surgery? Do propose these as roles for volunteers? Someone else?
See above.

rjaypeters wrote: I have no objection at all to being called a heartless bastard by someone who is completely ignorant of who I am, how I live and what I stand for. I find it stimulating.

"It's not what people call you that matters, it's what you answer to."

It would be helpful if you used that wit to understand what is actually being written. I didn't call you a "heartless bastard" I asked you how you would like to respond to a thread which says "Heartless bastard hates desperate poor" which would imply that you were one if you cared to defend the accusation.

My point is, you have proffered a thread tittle that is akin to the "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" question. If you accept the premise, then you are reinforcing the accusation.

As for me, I find clarity of thought and clarity of principle stimulating.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

What I find amusing about rayjay's lack of logic is that he assumes that libertarians do not PERSONALLY want to pay for the irresponsibility of others, but are fine with everybody else paying for it. This simply is not the case. Libertarians don't want ANYBODY to pay for the irresponsibility of persons other than themselves, unless someone altruistically decides to donate to a private charitable organization that seeks to aggrandize its own holiness or nobility through doing "good works" like helping the irresponsible perpetuate their own irresponsibility.

Charity that is not voluntary is slavery for those forced to give and theft by those who receive it. Virtuous behavior is only virtuous when it is voluntarily committed, and forcing people to be virtuous is robbing them of the free will to be good, saintly, virtuous or not.

This is what I also find so hypocritical of theocratically based governments or legal systems. If the test of whether or not you get into heaven depends on whether you lived a virtuous life or not, when the state forces you to be "good" without being free to choose to be virtuous or not, then you are not actually virtuous and cannot enter heaven. Thus theocratic legal systems that force good behavior have the effect of condeming all law abiding persons to hell for failure to be virtuous due to legal compulsion.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

IntLibber wrote:What I find amusing about rayjay's lack of logic is that he assumes that libertarians do not PERSONALLY want to pay for the irresponsibility of others, but are fine with everybody else paying for it.
Well, I was quoting someone else and then attempted to paraphrase to invite discussion.

R. Peters

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

IntLibber wrote:What I find amusing about rayjay's lack of logic is that he assumes that libertarians do not PERSONALLY want to pay for the irresponsibility of others, but are fine with everybody else paying for it. This simply is not the case. Libertarians don't want ANYBODY to pay for the irresponsibility of persons other than themselves, unless someone altruistically decides to donate to a private charitable organization that seeks to aggrandize its own holiness or nobility through doing "good works" like helping the irresponsible perpetuate their own irresponsibility.

Charity that is not voluntary is slavery for those forced to give and theft by those who receive it. Virtuous behavior is only virtuous when it is voluntarily committed, and forcing people to be virtuous is robbing them of the free will to be good, saintly, virtuous or not.

On this, I agree with the Libertarians. I have long argued that Government subsidizes bad behavior and then wants the productive to pay for it, and it is the productive who are threatened with prison if they object to paying.

IntLibber wrote: This is what I also find so hypocritical of theocratically based governments or legal systems. If the test of whether or not you get into heaven depends on whether you lived a virtuous life or not, when the state forces you to be "good" without being free to choose to be virtuous or not, then you are not actually virtuous and cannot enter heaven. Thus theocratic legal systems that force good behavior have the effect of condeming all law abiding persons to hell for failure to be virtuous due to legal compulsion.

Don't know if you are referring to me or not, but I do not have religion as the basis for any of my ideas. (at least of which I am aware.) I am a pro-theistic agnostic. I gave up believing in religion a long time ago, but I believe it still serves a useful purpose in the world.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Diogenes wrote:
D Tibbets wrote:All of this rightous spewing...

Consider your own possible situations:

Your only child and daughter is raped, becomes pregnant, and the child has problems which you or she cannot possibly pay for, your insurance is nonexistent, or limits are exceeded. Should Your daughter be sterilized? Should her only alternative have been an abortion?

The police knock on your door, "Mr B..., our genetic testing shows that you fathered an illegitimate child in college. The law requires that we now sterilize you. Oh, and we'll be sterilizing all of your children too, After all the fruit never falls far from the tree, and your children are obviously dead beats too..."

No one said anything about sterilizing children. Why does your mind come up with this idea? What is the matter with you?

This isn't forced segregation, or forced association, it is people choosing to be friends with people whom they regard as similar to themselves.
I tried to make it personal for you. Since I don't know your age, you may feel safe if you are past your child creation years, so I included your children so that your chance to pass on your genes and heritage was still threatened. And of course, you did not address the question, instead attacking the questioner.

And your last sentence is of course true. It Is Not FORCED SEGREGATION, which is what you are championing!

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Look, I'm not interested in animosity towards anyone. I have my perspective on how the world works and how it might be better. I might be wrong, but until someone shows me WHY I am wrong, I don't see any reason to change what I believe. That's not to say that I don't reassess my thinking from time to time. An Example.

Yesterday, I was driving along without my seat belt on, as is my preference. We have a seat belt law in this state that commands me to wear it, but It is my opinion that the state has no legitimate business instructing me to be safe for my own good.

While thinking about this, I considered my position on the drug issue, and at first thought the two things seemed to be a case where It appears the two issues are the same, and so I asked myself "How are they not?"

Mandatory seat belt use for your own good, vs Mandatory drug prohibition for your own good.

Well, my contention regarding drugs has always been that the users are already pretty much lost, and there is really no point in interdicting them if the purpose was to save them from themselves. However, it's not so simple as that. People who voluntarily use drugs are known to injure other people in at least two ways.

By driving under the influence and causing a crash or an accident, and by luring other people into trying a drug. The second injury is by far the worse of the two because it is far more common and far more damaging than most car crashes.

If the argument could be made that not using a seat belt causes other people to also not use a seat belt, and if then that person gets injured in an accident because they weren't wearing a seat belt, then it might be reasonable to suggest that the two examples are equal. But it is an excessive stretch to suggest that one person's lack of use would cause injury to another in the same manner as one person getting another hooked on drugs. One is indirect and highly improbable, while the other is direct and highly likely. And there is the distinction.

Anyway, my point was that I DO question my thinking from time to time, and if I cannot reconcile it with the facts before me, I am forced to change my mind, or at least call my previous conclusions into question.

That's just how I roll, and I recommend that methodology to everyone. :)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

D Tibbets wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
D Tibbets wrote:All of this rightous spewing...

Consider your own possible situations:

Your only child and daughter is raped, becomes pregnant, and the child has problems which you or she cannot possibly pay for, your insurance is nonexistent, or limits are exceeded. Should Your daughter be sterilized? Should her only alternative have been an abortion?

The police knock on your door, "Mr B..., our genetic testing shows that you fathered an illegitimate child in college. The law requires that we now sterilize you. Oh, and we'll be sterilizing all of your children too, After all the fruit never falls far from the tree, and your children are obviously dead beats too..."

No one said anything about sterilizing children. Why does your mind come up with this idea? What is the matter with you?

This isn't forced segregation, or forced association, it is people choosing to be friends with people whom they regard as similar to themselves.
I tried to make it personal for you. Since I don't know your age, you may feel safe if you are past your child creation years, so I included your children so that your chance to pass on your genes and heritage was still threatened. And of course, you did not address the question, instead attacking the questioner.

And your last sentence is of course true. It Is Not FORCED SEGREGATION, which is what you are championing!

Dan Tibbets

(dryly :) )Yes, it is NOT forced segregation which I am championing. I am not championing segregation of any kind! As for attacking you, I asked you where you got the notion that anyone was discussing child sterilization? If you find the notion so repulsive as to regard it as a personal attack, why did you level it at me?

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Diogenes wrote:
While thinking about this, I considered my position on the drug issue, and at first thought the two things seemed to be a case where It appears the two issues are the same, and so I asked myself "How are they not?"

Mandatory seat belt use for your own good, vs Mandatory drug prohibition for your own good.

Well, my contention regarding drugs has always been that the users are already pretty much lost, and there is really no point in interdicting them if the purpose was to save them from themselves. However, it's not so simple as that. People who voluntarily use drugs are known to injure other people in at least two ways.

By driving under the influence and causing a crash or an accident, and by luring other people into trying a drug. The second injury is by far the worse of the two because it is far more common and far more damaging than most car crashes.

If the argument could be made that not using a seat belt causes other people to also not use a seat belt, and if then that person gets injured in an accident because they weren't wearing a seat belt, then it might be reasonable to suggest that the two examples are equal. But it is an excessive stretch to suggest that one person's lack of use would cause injury to another in the same manner as one person getting another hooked on drugs. One is indirect and highly improbable, while the other is direct and highly likely. And there is the distinction.

Anyway, my point was that I DO question my thinking from time to time, and if I cannot reconcile it with the facts before me, I am forced to change my mind, or at least call my previous conclusions into question.

It's good to see you reconsider your position and explain yourself. I would like to respond to your logic here to help disabuse you of remaining logical errors.

Firstly, the first excuse, that a drugged person could get into accidents and cause harm thereby, well, most of the vehicle accidents in the US are alcohol related, so you are exercising a double standard here. By your logic, all alcohol should be banned for the same reason. Can't have it both ways.

Additionally, harm done via vehicle accidents by drugged persons is generally a tort issue, where economic harm is done to others that must be paid for. In a situation where the driver is under the influence of alcohol, the person is usually able to keep their job, earn money, and thus pay damages to those they harm. Conversely, the drug user, when drugs are illegal, typically loses their job due to their drug use not because of any greater incapacity, but because the social and legal stigma of using drugs rather than alcohol (even though alcohol does greater damage) causes persons to lose their employment, and are thus reduced to being uninsured, living as criminals, and are thus unable to compensate their victims for the damage they do. If drugs were legalized, then drug users could be more likely to keep their jobs, stay insured, and thus be able to compensate victims as well as alcoholics are able to. So, your first argument fails on both logic and economic grounds.

Your second argument, that drug users entice others into using drugs, is no different than the peer pressure to drink alcoholic beverages, and as I've previously demonstrated, alcohol does far more damage to society. The legal system considers every individual responsible for their own decisions. It doesn't matter if someone tries to persuade you to use drugs, they aren't forcing you to take em, it is your choice, grow a pair.
I can say that nobody has ever forced me to use any drug (other than my doctor) but I lived under a lot of pressure to drink from age 15 onwards. Any illicit drugs I've ever tried has been my own choice, free of any influence.

I can also say that alcohol has done far more damage to myself, and others, in my life, than any drug has. You are blaming the wrong scapegoat for the ills you see in society.

So your second argument also fails, hard.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

rjaypeters wrote:Consider: who will select the subjects for involuntary sterilization?
Diogenes wrote:They will select themselves. Just as prison inmates (in most cases) select themselves by their actions.

I know a little bit about this. I've spoken with a lot of women who let the state pay for their labor and delivery costs. Several of them have told me the state offered to give them a tubal ligation right after delivery while they were still in the hospital. What better time?

As for the males, believe it or not, the police will grab someone with an outstanding warrant. Offer them the choice of paying the bill, prison, or a vasectomy, and i'll warrant most of them will take the vasectomy. A lot of them will consider it to be a favor.
Yes, these are government actions in response to individual irresponsibility. A premise of this thread is less government action and the results.
rjaypeters wrote:I have no objection at all to being called a heartless bastard by someone who is completely ignorant of who I am, how I live and what I stand for. I find it stimulating.
Oh, have it your way, you didn't call me a heartless bastard. But, honesty compells me to admit I am worse than you know. It is confidently attested to me my parents were married before I was born. Heartless? You got me there. I shudder when I think about how awful I am.
Diogenes wrote:My point is, you have proffered a thread tittle that is akin to the "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" question.
No, I don't think so. Others and you, on this thread, introduced a specific response, sterilization, to a broader question, no New Deal and Great Society programs. If you don't like the existing title of the other thread, propose a different one and I'll change it (I guess I have that power for threads I originate).

Speaking of the other thread, I like IntLibber's first response. It seems an interesting start.
Diogenes wrote:If you accept the premise, then you are reinforcing the accusation.
I would not dream to catch you with such an elementary trick. Propose a different title, by all means.
Diogenes wrote:As for me, I find clarity of thought and clarity of principle stimulating.
Among other things, I also find these things stimulating, if I can find them.

R. Peters

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

The 'theocratic' viewpoint was brought up.

If Anyone Will Not Work Neither Shall He Eat - 2 Thessalonians 3:10-11

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Isaiah 1: 16 & 17 - Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause.

Emphasis mine.

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Anti-Welfare Queen - Star Parker's campaign for Congress and against government assistance.

http://www.slate.com/id/2268090/

R. Peters

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

IntLibber wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

It's good to see you reconsider your position and explain yourself. I would like to respond to your logic here to help disabuse you of remaining logical errors.

Firstly, the first excuse, that a drugged person could get into accidents and cause harm thereby, well, most of the vehicle accidents in the US are alcohol related, so you are exercising a double standard here. By your logic, all alcohol should be banned for the same reason. Can't have it both ways.
You cannot argue that alcohol does not cause accidents. You are trying to argue that because we excuse the one thing, then we must also excuse the other. This is a variation of "Two wrongs don't make a right, but it d@mn sure makes them equal! " One thing being wrong does not excuse another thing for being wrong. With this in mind you feel the need to correct MY logical errors?

IntLibber wrote: Additionally, harm done via vehicle accidents by drugged persons is generally a tort issue, where economic harm is done to others that must be paid for. In a situation where the driver is under the influence of alcohol, the person is usually able to keep their job, earn money, and thus pay damages to those they harm.

If we are to split legal hairs in discussing a philosophy, then you could argue that the cops deciding not to stop someone who is clearly drunk driving and a threat to the public is also a "tort" issue. The cop's failure to enforce the law is not Criminal, and if the drunk hurts or kills someone, the Cop isn't criminally responsible. This legal hair splitting requires us to believe that running someone down because you were angry at them is a "criminal" issue, while running them down because you thought they were a "Pink Elephant" is a "tort" issue. The victim, feeling exactly the same injury in either case, can be forgiven for not appreciating the distinction. In our society, we should do everything reasonably possible to prevent people from getting run down, regardless of the intent or lack thereof of the driver.

IntLibber wrote: Conversely, the drug user, when drugs are illegal, typically loses their job due to their drug use not because of any greater incapacity, but because the social and legal stigma of using drugs rather than alcohol (even though alcohol does greater damage) causes persons to lose their employment, and are thus reduced to being uninsured, living as criminals, and are thus unable to compensate their victims for the damage they do. If drugs were legalized, then drug users could be more likely to keep their jobs, stay insured, and thus be able to compensate victims as well as alcoholics are able to. So, your first argument fails on both logic and economic grounds.

You argue that people using illegal drugs are "more likely to keep their jobs, stay insured, " ? Really? Most of the people I know who used drugs couldn't keep a job at all because they were completely non-functional for anything useful. All they wanted to do was get high. You are probably arguing on behalf of wussy weed, which is the lethal equivilent of a water pistol, while I am discussing REAL drugs, like Crack, Meth, Oxycontin, Heroin, Loritabs, Zanax, Opium, etc. You know, REAL drugs which would be legalized under the misguided belief that "marijuana's not so bad, we should legalize ALL drugs just so we can have a consistent Philosophy! "

Again, you question MY logic?

IntLibber wrote: Your second argument, that drug users entice others into using drugs, is no different than the peer pressure to drink alcoholic beverages, and as I've previously demonstrated, alcohol does far more damage to society.

I don't recall if you've mentioned this previously, but do you have ANY experience with people using REAL drugs? Here's a snippet from a website that can hardly be construed as anti-drug.
Dr. Mary Holley, obstetrician and chairperson of Mothers Against Methamphetamine, informed the Associated Press that one's initial hit of meth is the equivalent of ten orgasms all on top of each other, each lasting for 30 minutes to an hour, with a feeling of arousal that lasts for another day and a half. She is quick to confess that the effect doesn't last long: "After you've been using [meth] about six months or so, you can't have sex unless you're high. After you have been using it a little bit longer you can't have sex even when you're high. Nothing happens. [Your penis] doesn't work."
http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/dru ... phetamine/

IntLibber wrote: The legal system considers every individual responsible for their own decisions. It doesn't matter if someone tries to persuade you to use drugs, they aren't forcing you to take em, it is your choice, grow a pair.
I can say that nobody has ever forced me to use any drug (other than my doctor) but I lived under a lot of pressure to drink from age 15 onwards. Any illicit drugs I've ever tried has been my own choice, free of any influence.

You ever see this scene? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNhOH4Y0bI

That's a joke, but that's how it works in real life. It is not simply a peer pressure effect. People see other people thoroughly enjoying something, and they want to try it. It's not peer pressure, it's instinctive.
It's like seeing your cousin (or brother, or friend) riding a wave runner, or a go-cart, and you cannot help but want to give it a try yourself. But with drugs, once you try it, the pleasure is so intense that you simply must do it over and over. It tampers with your ability to think because it's more pleasure than your body was designed to deal with.

Getting someone hooked by showing them how much fun it is, and by offering them a sample, IS an injury.

IntLibber wrote: I can also say that alcohol has done far more damage to myself, and others, in my life, than any drug has. You are blaming the wrong scapegoat for the ills you see in society.

I am not excusing alcohol. I am acknowledging that it is currently a fact of our existence. My argument is this. Why would we want another one just as bad, and others which are far worse? Again, you are trying to use the "One wrong justifies another wrong" argument.

IntLibber wrote: So your second argument also fails, hard.

Your critique falls hard. My argument, not so much.