The top twenty science fiction movies of all time are...

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

seedload

The top twenty science fiction movies of all time are...

Post by seedload »

1) Blade Runner
2) Aliens
3) The Empire Strikes Back
4) Alien
5) Planet of the Apes
6) The Matrix
7) Forbidden Planet
8) Terminator
9) Silent Running
10) Twelve Monkeys
11) Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
12) Jurassic Park
13) Soylent Green
14) Gattaga
15) Avatar
16) Total Recall
17) The Omega Man
18) The Andromeda Strain
19) 2001: A Space Odyssey
20) Galaxy Quest

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Science Fiction is a big genre....

Some possible alternatives in that list are:

Tron
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Journey to the Center of the Earth

off the top of my head, although you have a good list going now.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

1. Empire Strikes back (personal 2nd)
2. Star Wars (personal first).
3. Return of the Jedi.
4. 2001
5., 6., 7. Back to the Future trilogy.
8. 2010
9. Serenity
10. Blade Runner
11. Alien
12. Aliens
13. Matrix
14. Star Trek VI the undiscovered Country
15. Star Trek VIII, first Contact.
16. Dark City
17. Outland
18. Abyss
19. Hitchhikers guide
20. Godzilla (just had to get the big green one in there somewhere).

seedload

Post by seedload »

Skipjack wrote:1. Empire Strikes back (personal 2nd)
2. Star Wars (personal first).
3. Return of the Jedi.
4. 2001
5., 6., 7. Back to the Future trilogy.
8. 2010
9. Serenity
10. Blade Runner
11. Alien
12. Aliens
13. Matrix
14. Star Trek VI the undiscovered Country
15. Star Trek VIII, first Contact.
16. Dark City
17. Outland
18. Abyss
19. Hitchhikers guide
20. Godzilla (just had to get the big green one in there somewhere).
Nice list.
Serenity almost made my list. Fun movie.
Outland - really?
I didn't like the movie version of The Hitchhikers Guide (loved the book and series).
King Kong comes in front of any Zilla movies, IMHO.
At the time, I loved the Back to the Future movies. I find the unwatchable now though. Not sure why. Galaxy Quest, on the other hand, might be one of my top re-watchable movies. Silly, I know.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Abyss and Sphere remind me of each other too much. I know they have vastly different story lines, but the under water craziness is just too close. That being said though, I would put Sphere up there somewhere in the top 100 I suppose.

choff

Post by choff »

You missed Plan 9 from Outer Space.
CHoff

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

choff wrote:You missed Plan 9 from Outer Space.
Oh dear god.....

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I'd have Robocop somewhere in there. Although it's getting less and less fictive. Also The Thing, and The Fly.

I think I agree with Outland, question mark. That one as I remember it is Connery carrying it along.

Spielberg's Interstellar, with Kip Thorne and Nolan involved, is now reported by IMDB as due for 2014.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

What I like about Outland is that it is a near future movie, not a very distant future movie. I really like this kind of science fiction.
I thought about putting The Thing in there, but it is more of a horror movie for me than a sci fi movie. But you are right it should be in there somewhere.
Terminator 1 and 2 are also oddly missing from my list. Robocop I never was that big a fan of. I did kinda like total Recall though, liked the soundtrack and that it was rather not so serious.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Why am I not seeing "The Fifth Element" in these lists?
One of the funniest Sci-Fi movie after the "Back to the Future" trilogy!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Why am I not seeing "The Fifth Element" in these lists?
It just never really connected with me. It was OKish, but not among the best sci fi movies.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I liked it. Outland is also another favorite of mine. Serenity was good, but more so if you watched the series.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Betruger wrote:I'd have Robocop somewhere in there. Although it's getting less and less fictive. Also The Thing, and The Fly.

I think I agree with Outland, question mark. That one as I remember it is Connery carrying it along.

Spielberg's Interstellar, with Kip Thorne and Nolan involved, is now reported by IMDB as due for 2014.
The Thing and The Fly are great (talking about the remakes of each). Both would be in my next few. I actually like the original The Fly too. I saw that when I was really little and the tiny "Help Me" voice freaked me out.

Outland was just boring, IMHO.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Giorgio wrote:Why am I not seeing "The Fifth Element" in these lists?
One of the funniest Sci-Fi movie after the "Back to the Future" trilogy!
I never saw The Fifth Element in its entirety until recently. The problem is that I work developing Cable TV products, and The Fifth Element was one of the movies being looped continuously in our lab, so I kept getting a disjointed five minutes of it at a time. I never figured out that it was supposed to be kinda campy rather than just bad from that conglomeration of five minute bits. When I finally watched it, I had already spoiled it for myself.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Both Dr. Bussard and I thoroughly enjoyed "Independence Day." Sure, it is campy and corny, but it meant to be. Honestly, it handles science a lot better than some. My wife dragged me in there threatening bodily harm if I so much as raised a technical objection. I left shouting its praises, while she was grumbling "That could never happen ..."

A lot of SF fans have a high regard for "The Forbidden Planet," and "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

One of the worst SF movies ever made was the first one I ever saw, and it changed my life. It was an Italian space opera called "Assignment: Outer Space" in its English-dubbed release. The one outstanding thing about the movie was its co-star, Archie Savage, and the character he played. Archie was black, a Virginia native looking for acting work and finding better opportunities in Europe. He was also a dancer. The best special effect in the movie is Archie showing movement in zero gee. He is a spacecraft commander and a hero ... consider this was 1960 and way ahead of Uhura on Star Trek.