Dangers of GMO`s

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

zbarlici

Dangers of GMO`s

Post by zbarlici »

The Health Dangers of Genetically Modified Foods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94d-KVor ... playnext=1

...pls watch video from time 3 min 40s and on, and pls shate this info with as many as possible.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

fast forward to 5:50 of part 4...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The biggest danger of GMOs is more food grown on less land with fewer external inputs.

And yeah. We know how dangerous GMOs are in America. We have been eating the stuff for a couple of decades now.

Not to worry: with starvation in the offing from the coming Little Ice Age the squeamishness towards GMOs will quickly vanish.

BTW is this another attempt at killing off Africans (similar to what happened with the virtual ban on DDT?)?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Ah. Yes. The History of genetically modified foods going back 10,000 years? What? He doesn't go back 10,000 years? Doesn't he know the genetic history of corn?

GMOs gonna getcha while you eat and global warming gonnal getcha while you sleep. And politicians will use similar crap arguments to getcha all the time. And hysteria mongers will use similar manipulations to sell books and get large speaking fees. The marks fall for it every time.

You know I was watching the guy say: they will manipulate you with fear and anger right in the middle of his fear and anger manipulation. darn clever that. It is always the other bastids doing the manipulation. We is pure as driven snow. At least before mankind mucked up the snow.

With a little Ice Age Coming a lot of folks are going to want GMOs that can handle a much shorter growing season. Food riots are a bitch. Starvation is worse.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

BTW is this another attempt at killing off Africans (similar to what happened with the virtual ban on DDT?)?
Or is it more like the ethanol boondoggle? Another effort to starve the poor of the world.

It is always "some one will have to die for our sins" - "Not ME! Not ME! I provide a useful service. It is them over there wot got to die." "There is not enough to go around. I made sure of it." A very valuable service in its own right.

It is hard to believe that the consequences of these and other similar policies is unintended. Can't be when the answer is always the same: "the poor must suffer and die."

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I rarely agree with you on political issues Simon, but I do agree that genetically modified food is not dangerous at all.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

From the American Institute of Biological Sciences

"Further studies are needed to assess the potential risks of GM foods even though the technology promises many benefits"
http://www.actionbioscience.org/biotech/sakko.html
http://www.aibs.org/about-aibs/

WHO`s position(but we all know big industry wins)
What are the main issues of concern for human health?

While theoretical discussions have covered a broad range of aspects, the three main issues debated are tendencies to provoke allergic reaction (allergenicity), gene transfer and outcrossing.

Allergenicity.

Gene transfer. Gene transfer from GM foods to cells of the body or to bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract would cause concern if the transferred genetic material adversely affects human health. This would be particularly relevant if antibiotic resistance genes, used in creating GMOs, were to be transferred. Although the probability of transfer is low, the use of technology without antibiotic resistance genes has been encouraged by a recent FAO/WHO expert panel.

Outcrossing. The movement of genes from GM plants into conventional crops or related species in the wild (referred to as “outcrossing”), as well as the mixing of crops derived from conventional seeds with those grown using GM crops, may have an indirect effect on food safety and food security. This risk is real, as was shown when traces of a maize type which was only approved for feed use appeared in maize products for human consumption in the United States of America. Several countries have adopted strategies to reduce mixing, including a clear separation of the fields within which GM crops and conventional crops are grown.

"The biggest danger of GMOs is more food grown on less land with fewer external inputs"

I am well aware of the benefits of GMO`s, and there are tons. But i guess we choose the lesser of two evils? You either allow starvation becasue you cannot feed the masses because nature is not doing its job fast enough, or you feed the masses now and deal with whatever long-term consequences arise at a later time? But suppose the GMO`s do affect health.. what kind of strain would that place on the medical system? And that we don`t know.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

"Ah. Yes. The History of genetically modified foods going back 10,000 years? What? He doesn't go back 10,000 years? Doesn't he know the genetic history of corn"

Even in nature there is genetical modification, its called natural selection, but that`s done naturally.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

You either allow starvation becasue you cannot feed the masses because nature is not doing its job fast enough, or you feed the masses now and deal with whatever long-term consequences arise at a later time?
I see your point. We can avoid a lot of possible long term difficulties later by letting a lot of people starve now. Morally unassailable.

Update: I guess we are back to the norm of a permanent war on the poor. A biologically sound position. You don't want poor producers reproducing.
Last edited by MSimon on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zbarlici wrote:"Ah. Yes. The History of genetically modified foods going back 10,000 years? What? He doesn't go back 10,000 years? Doesn't he know the genetic history of corn"

Even in nature there is genetical modification, its called natural selection, but that`s done naturally.
The corn we have today was not created by natural selection. It was created by unnatural selection - humans. In a fairly random process. GM is more targeted. Which says that the odds are it is safer. So far Americans have been eating GMOs in large enough quantities that an effect would have shown up - if it was significant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teosinte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

We can't say no effect. There are people allergic to nuts after all. Naturally selected. So there might be some who do not do as well with GMOs as they do with last year's hybrids. But as I said - they have not shown up in statistically significant numbers.

That skinny guy in the video sure did an excellent job of making the potential real enough to make some folks scared and angry. I wonder if he would like to switch his talents to promoting Polywell. With him doing promotion I think a $40 bn budget might not be out of the question next year. How big a cut do you think he would want?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

What dangers?
So far whenever some greenhead pulls out some "potential dangers", I never get to hear what dangers these are supposed to be.
The biggest gripe I have with it is that this stuff is patented and then escapes into the wild and then you can get sued because it grows on your lawn...
Thats pretty much the only danger I know and it is also of rather low potential...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Do you know for a fact that we understand genetics and epigenetics and everything in that framework to accurately predict what the consequences, if any, will be?

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

"So far Americans have been eating GMOs in large enough quantities that an effect would have shown up - if it was significant"

We could compare the health of those in GMO-eating countries with the health of other people from a non-GMO consuming society.. has this been done?

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Genetic manipulation is more percise than selective breeding, otherwise I percieve little difference. When developing corn hybirds, various strains of corn are combined in hopes that the benifits of each strain will add to the total- resistance to both bug A and fungus B, without introducing a negative facter- less resistance to Bug C.
In this case the more percise manipulation May actually decrease the chances of a harmfull condition spreading through a population. Breading has certainly introduced it's share of harmfull traits, just look at dog breeding. Just as natural selection has lead to leigion extintions.
The bigest concern of direct manipulation in animals and plants that I see is the narowing of genetic variation, but I'm not sure if it is any different that the 'natural' breeding that has been going on for thousands of years.

What worries me more is genetic manipulation of germs- adding a pathological gene from cholora to a commen soil bacteria just to see what happens, or adding antibiotic resistance genes to Yersenia pestis for biological warfare purposes....

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

choff

Post by choff »

I once asked an agronomist what he thought of organic food, because he was always consulting for would be organic farmers. He told me that he told them it was the best thing for the soil and the healthiest food people could be eating, but unfortunately they were 20 years and 2 billion people too late, because the earth couldn't provide enough organically grown food to feed humanity anymore.
CHoff