Second Worst President in US History.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: Second Worst President in US History.

Post by ladajo »

paperburn1 wrote:Did not Chernobyl continue to produce power from the other reactors on site until they were decommissioned in 2000?
It was a phased shutdown. I think unit 3 was the last in 2000. The other two were done earlier. One, as I recall due to a secondary system fire.

Really what did them in was that the Soviet Operators were/are not trained to a sufficient depth in core physics and mechanics. THey really did not understand the plant they were operating. Any boiling water core has an inherent limitation in reactivity margins due to excessive boiling. As a result, ofr example, if I remember correctly, Cherynobl Four (the casualty plant) was operating at about half the safety margin when things went south. Ironically, the attempt to get it under control pushed it over the edge. These guys really did not understand things we train/educate here like poisons, and reactivity excursions. They thought two things, more cooling, more rods. By trying to do it all at the wrong times, (they thought they could still save the core), they flashed it out and that was that. Overpressure accident on the core structure followed quickly by a Hydrogen pop. End result, flaming chunks of core and what-not winging through the air, and complete strutural failure of the core and core structure. Bad ju-ju all around.

What happened here was way worse than Fukishima. The issue with Fukishima was that early on, no one wanted to think that the secondary bucket had cracked. Once they figured it out, it was too late. The puddle had drained. I was asked about this the day of the first pop. My comment was, "Containment has failed. You cannot suffer a Hydrogen pop like what I just saw and not crack the concrete." I then went on to recommend unmanned overhead video & IR, as well as test drills around the bucket to look for a plume. The plant operators chose to do manned visual overhead at first, then swithced to un-manned. Cores were not done until well after it mattered.

Beh.

Now we have Fukishima Memorial Beach Park. Which I also pointed out when asked about core recoverability. It made me laugh out loud. I told the parties asking, "That is slag. And you are probably going to lose more. That plant will never operate again."

Is what it is.

If you want to have a good read on C-4, read this:

NRC Study

or you can check out some of the work done (and ongoing) by IAEA, and the Scientific Commitee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCAER) has some stuff as well.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

But...

But......
We need a directorate of science, and we need it to be voted on only by scientists. You don't get to vote on reality. Get over it. Elected officials that deny the findings of the Science Directorate are subject to immediate impeachment for incompetence.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I remember that, Boehner got emotional when giving the Congressional Gold Medal to astronaut Neil Armstrong. A national hero and one of my personal heros.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

paperburn1 wrote:I remember that, Boehner got emotional when giving the Congressional Gold Medal to astronaut Neil Armstrong. A national hero and one of my personal heros.
I thought he was sneezing.
We need a directorate of science, and we need it to be voted on only by scientists. You don't get to vote on reality. Get over it. Elected officials that deny the findings of the Science Directorate are subject to immediate impeachment for incompetence.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Carter says today’s middle class looks like the poor from his presidency due to income gap

OAKLAND, Calif. — Former President Jimmy Carter said Monday that the income gap in the United States has increased to the point where members of the middle class resemble the Americans who lived in poverty when he occupied the White House.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

No! The first President who's dumber than Jimmy Carter produces Jimmy Carter like results? Whoda thunk?
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

Diogenes wrote:No! The first President who's dumber than Jimmy Carter produces Jimmy Carter like results? Whoda thunk?
He's got a meme, and he's not afraid to push it.

Why, back in the '70s I remember being too poor to afford a car with a CD player! :lol:

Or a cell phone! Or a 42 inch TV!
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.

Schneibster

Post by Schneibster »

JLawson wrote:
Diogenes wrote:No! The first President who's dumber than Jimmy Carter produces Jimmy Carter like results? Whoda thunk?
He's got a meme, and he's not afraid to push it.

Why, back in the '70s I remember being too poor to afford a car with a CD player! :lol:

Or a cell phone! Or a 42 inch TV!
I pretty much don't bother talking to racists either. Bye now, meshback.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Boycotting the 2014 Sochi Olympics Is a Really Bad Idea

In 1980, President Jimmy Carter ordered a boycott of the Summer Games in Moscow, demanding that the Soviet Union withdraw from Afghanistan; it was another decade before the last Russian soldier left. The Soviets returned the favor in 1984, keeping the athletes of the Communist bloc out of the Games in Los Angeles. Moscow claimed its boycott was a response to “chauvinistic sentiments and an anti-Soviet hysteria … being whipped up in the United States.” The American chauvinist-in-chief, Ronald Reagan, rode the burst of national pride from the Olympics to a landslide reelection. Five years later the Iron Curtain crumbled.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... y-bad-idea

The Parallels between the Stupidest President in History, and the Second Stupidest President in History are uncanny.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Former Hostages React to Iran's Nuclear Deal

"It's kind of like Jimmy Carter all over again," said Clair Cortland Barnes, now retired and living in Leland, N.C., after a career at the CIA and elsewhere. He sees the negotiations now as no more effective than they were in 1979 and 1980, when he and others languished, facing mock executions and other torments.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013 ... clear-deal
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

EPIC FAIL: Now JIMMY CARTER is calling Obama an incompetent loser

It’s been a disastrous couple of weeks for President Barack Obama. His signature legislation, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, is a slow-motion train wreck. His poll numbers have tanked.

Now, things have gotten so bad for Obama that former president Jimmy Carter has called President Obama incompetent in the family-friendly pages of Parade magazine.

" His major accomplishment was Obamacare, and the implementation of it now is questionable at best.”

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/02/epic- ... ent-loser/
— Lord Melbourne —

williatw

Post by williatw »

You sure you really want a more competent Obama? And by "competent" I mean better at getting what he wants done. If he were more competent you would probably have single payer national healthcare...which most of you here don't want. If he were competent you would have gun control out the wazzoo...which I don't want. Coal industry and by extension our coal fired power plants (roughly half of our electricity) "bankrupted", in favor of much more expensive for the time being "renewables". No fracking; you know he hates it as much as off shore drilling; he just wants there to be some kind of a BP spill event type accident with fracking, and he would try and pull the plug on it. Though he loves to pretend he likes it and tries to take some kind of credit. We are headed toward energy independence in spite not because of him. Cap and Trade (Global Warming); not too much luck so far. US subordination to the UN, he's working on it but again not too much luck so far either. Low performance ratings in most polls; if your party can't take control of the Senate with the wind at their back now, might as well give it up. Hillary might not run just because she doesn't want to follow him, clearing the way for Republicans to take over the WH. He is good at offing terrorists by drone strikes, fine by me keep it up; that's about the extent of my inclination for foreign adventurism.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Why Team Obama Was Blindsided by the Bergdahl Backlash
The president and Ms. Rice seem to think that the crime of desertion in wartime is kind of like skipping class.
Congratulations, Mr. President! And identical congrats to your sorcerer’s apprentice, National Security Adviser Susan Rice. By trying to sell him as an American hero, you’ve turned a deserter already despised by soldiers in the know into quite possibly the most-hated individual soldier in the history of our military.

I have never witnessed such outrage from our troops.

Exhibit A: Ms. Rice. In one of the most tone-deaf statements in White House history (we’re making a lot of history here), the national-security advisor, on a Sunday talk show, described Bergdahl as having served “with honor and distinction.” Those serving in uniform and those of us who served previously were already stirred up, but that jaw-dropper drove us into jihad mode.

But pity Ms. Rice. Like the president she serves, she’s a victim of her class. Nobody in the inner circle of Team Obama has served in uniform. It shows. That bit about serving with “honor and distinction” is the sort of perfunctory catch-phrase politicians briefly don as electoral armor. (“At this point in your speech, ma’am, devote one sentence to how much you honor the troops.”)

I actually believe that Ms. Rice was kind of sincere, in her spectacularly oblivious way. In the best Manchurian Candidate manner, she said what she had been programmed to say by her political culture, then she was blindsided by the firestorm she ignited by scratching two flinty words together. At least she didn’t blame Bergdahl’s desertion on a video.

The president, too, appears stunned. He has so little understanding of (or interest in) the values and traditions of our troops that he and his advisers really believed that those in uniform would erupt into public joy at the news of Bergdahl’s release — as D.C. frat kids did when Osama bin Laden’s death was trumpeted.

Both President Obama and Ms. Rice seem to think that the crime of desertion in wartime is kind of like skipping class. They have no idea of how great a sin desertion in the face of the enemy is to those in our military. The only worse sin is to side actively with the enemy and kill your brothers in arms. This is not sleeping in on Monday morning and ducking Gender Studies 101.

But compassion, please! The president and all the president’s men and women are not alone. Our media elite — where it’s a rare bird who bothered to serve in uniform — instantly became experts on military justice. Of earnest mien and blithe assumption, one talking head after another announced that “we always try to rescue our troops, even deserters.”

Uh, no. “Save the deserter” is a recent battle cry of the politically indoctrinated brass. For much of our history, we did make some efforts to track down deserters in wartime. Then we shot or hanged them. Or, if we were in good spirits, we merely used a branding iron to burn a large D into their cheeks or foreheads. Even as we grew more enlightened, desertion brought serious time in a military prison. At hard labor.

This is a fundamental culture clash. Team Obama and its base cannot comprehend the values still cherished by those young Americans “so dumb” they joined the Army instead of going to prep school and then to Harvard. Values such as duty, honor, country, physical courage, and loyalty to your brothers and sisters in arms have no place in Obama World. (Military people don’t necessarily all like each other, but they know they can depend on each other in battle — the sacred trust Bergdahl violated.)
http://m.nationalreview.com/article/379 ... lph-peters

And this is the guy that some of you here think is this close to declaring himself dictator for life or something similiar...he shot his competency wad at getting himself elected, (okay twice) and maybe killing Osama Bin Laden.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

You should have used the (sarc) tag when you said he killed Osamy B.

The problem is that Republicrats' only complaint is that they want a blue blood emperor. We need to demote the POTUS office, not the teleprompter sitting in it today. Then we need to put the bureaucrats to work in private industry and use the metric tons of graft supporting laws to stoke some fossil fueled power plants.

Even back when the world was simple, Progs were out of their depth, now, no emperor's entourage can manage it. A Prog is a Prog.

There is no such thing as a big ship in the ocean. And where the 'H' is our polywell! :D
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

williatw

Post by williatw »

mvanwink5 wrote:We need to demote the POTUS office, not (merely) the teleprompter (reader) sitting in it today.
Yeah that's the thing...after WWII we needed a large semi-permanent military to deal with the Soviet cold war threat. That blew up the size of the gov, and since the prez is the commander-in-chief the office of president as well. The expansion on the social/welfare side followed suit. We need out of these entagling alliances, (including eventually NATO), that will chop it down to what the founders intended; three (executive, legislative, judicial) separate largely equal branches.